Not sure how to attach to house.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbtech

Reaction score
I've got 6 hops bines that are going to need to go up to the edge of my roof. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to attach the twine to the house without drilling into the guttering? The bines will be going at about a 45 degree angle from the ground up to there.

re: the 45* angle, is there a reason people do this? I'm about to plant my hops along the side of the house too, and putting an eye bolt in the trim. Should I plant them far enough away to get to about 45*?

re: the 45* angle, is there a reason people do this? I'm about to plant my hops along the side of the house too, and putting an eye bolt in the trim. Should I plant them far enough away to get to about 45*?

Well, I wanted to get more length out of my bines without going onto the roof or running along the gutter. Just remember the triangle: A squared + B squared = C squared. I don't remember the name of the theorem...Pythagorean??? (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

Put eye-bolts into the backside of the trim.

Oh thats just crazy talk

2008cascade2.jpg

I've mentioned this in a couple other threads. I put eyebolts to the underside of the overhang (sealed them up properly) and attached the twine to that. It isn't actually drilling into the guttering, because there's no guttering on that side. Once the bines reach the top, let out some slack and you get twice the length than the roof height actually is.

Trellis.jpg

Back