Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bramling Cross

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I work in MD with a bunch of O's fans and they're shocked and appalled by what the Red Sox are doing. Especially when you consider just how anemic league-wide hitting has been this year, the Red Sox are doing something special. As the fan of another over-performing team, the Giants, I've got to say that what the Red Sox are doing is more impressive.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Pfft. It takes way more skill and talent to lose in the creative ways that the twins have been able to this season than it is to just win ball games.

But seriously, Devers is a beast. I would have figured the sox would be down for several more seasons without betts, but yikes.

day_trippr

Get the shot ffs! Sheesh!
Reaction score
Sox win on Saturday Night Baseball In America [blah blah blah] in a stupid interleague game vs Philly (I hate interleague games).
The announcers were totally Philly's fans though, and when the last out was scored you could feel the air get completely let out of the production :D
Eff 'em. Next time play it straight and you won't be so obviously disappointed in public....

day_trippr

Reaction score
Did I mention I hate "Interleague Play"? We just got done with Philly and now we have all these ATL and Miami games.
Ugh...

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You don't see this every game :D
Note - there were two outs! All the first baseman had to do is touch the damned bag!

My wife showed me that yesterday. I've watched a lot of baseball on pretty much every level possible, and I have never seen that play out in my life. Fantastic thinking on Baez part.

day_trippr

Reaction score
Tampa Bay slipped past the Sox in the standings (though the Sox have the differential games in hand) but right now nobody here cares because the Sox swept the Yanquis! :rock:

That is all. Go about your business ;)

zedfactor

Reaction score
Tampa Bay slipped past the Sox in the standings (though the Sox have the differential games in hand) but right now nobody here cares because the Sox swept the Yanquis! :rock:

That is all. Go about your business ;)
Da Jankees Lose!

day_trippr

Reaction score
Red Sox celebrated the (sad) retirement of Pedroia (aka The Laser Show) by sweeping Los Yanquis - again!
Makes everything even better! :D

day_trippr

Reaction score
Indeed, he was a mini stud totally immersed in the game, and his end was too early - that's the sad part.
I don't know that his stats will put him in The Hall, but he earned the respect of the league, and that may be more important.
I mean, there are some real dickheads in The Hall, ffs...

zedfactor

Reaction score
Indeed, he was a mini stud totally immersed in the game, and his end was too early - that's the sad part.
I don't know that his stats will put him in The Hall, but he earned the respect of the league, and that may be more important.
I mean, there are some real dickheads in The Hall, ffs...
He will definitely be in the Red Sox HoF but as for Cooperstown, unfortunately, I think he's going to be one of those borderline players. As long as he stays on the ballot I could see him taking his whole 10 years to get in... if he gets in by voting. I could see the Veterans Committee putting him in.

Reaction score
That is a damned shame. 106 yrs after conception. I really don't understand it. Certainly, teams name themselves out of an awesome respect for the thing. Rays, lightning, bears, eagles, etc.

What about Atlanta Braves? Florida State Seminoles? What about every city that was named after an indian tribe? Alabama, Iowa, Kansas are names of indian tribes. And another 20 states are named after indian words. 26 States That Were Named By Native Americans, Was Your State?

day_trippr

Reaction score
Unbunch your panties. Calling native americans "indians" was a historical error from the jump.
Exploiting that for hundreds of years is just adding insult to error...

Cheers!

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Eh. Redskins is one thing. Indians is another. They did the right thing by getting rid of chief wahoo a few years ago. But renaming the team? I guess I don’t care either way, but it seems overkill.