Not quite sure what to think, extract Pilsner SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancingBull

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I tried my first lager today. I brew 10 gallons and then keg.

Here's the recipe I went with

1 lb. Cara/Pils at 150 degrees F for 30 min
18 lbs. of Extra Light DME for 60 min
Hops went
3 oz Saaz at 60 min
2 oz Saaz at 15 min
1 tsp Yeast additive at 10 min
2 oz Saaz at 1 min

I cooled it, put it in 2 separate Carboys
(for the record I like to try 2 different types of yeast, one was czech pils 2278 and the other is Barvarian 2206)

I took a SG and it read 1088! Is this even possible? Not sure if this matters, but i filled my tube and set it aside (there was a lot of sediment at the bottom) for about 40 minutes or so as i was filling the carboys, not sure if that can throw off the readings.

Any thoughts on that SG?

Thanks in advance!

carapils? that has to be mashed with pale malt, though alot argue about how it can be steeped. from I read some cats do steep it an have it no higher than 160's. an prolly will cause some haze if not mashed. though u are doing 10 gallons. anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I took the reading from the 10 gallon batch at the very begininng as I was pouring it into my carboys, for what it's worth, does that matter?

I can't guarantee u anything, but when I put 18lbs of ex light DME in my calculator at 10 gallons I get 1.077. and u steeped 1 LB of carapils ( which is questionable because of the ability to convert it's on sugars) there's no way 1 LB could bring it up 10 points steeped or mashed. maybe if u were boiling 2 gallons. what temperature did u take ur reading?

I can't guarantee u anything, but when I put 18lbs of ex light DME in my calculator at 10 gallons I get 1.077. and u steeped 1 LB of carapils ( which is questionable because of the ability to convert it's on sugars) there's no way 1 LB could bring it up 10 points steeped or mashed. maybe if u were boiling 2 gallons. what temperature did u take ur reading?

Ok, so it does sound possibe, I didn't do any calculations at the beginning. I took the reading around 85 degrees F.

was the wort mixed thoroughly before takin the sample?

Well, good point, this kind of puts it in perspective. The trub had settled after cooling, and the reading i took was within a minute or 2 after the transfer began to the carboy, not towards the end of the transfer. I did not do any further mixing after it cooled and before I started the transfer.

Thanks for all of you replies!

no problem podna! u might have hit a hot spot when u took the sample especially if u say u took it from the bottom of the cooled wort. by "hot" i mean concentrated. I would venture to say u would be around 1.080 +/-. God bless

" I took the reading around 85 degrees "

P.S
take ya gravity reading around 60-65F. lil more accurate.

Back