Not much airlock activity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcsowden

Reaction score
I made an Irish Red on Thursday night (3 days ago) and saw some okay airlock activity the next day. By Saturday it had all but stopped. The vodka is pushed up and it may be bubbling every 10 minutes or so.

The reason I ask is becuase it is the first time I have used a yeast starter pack and I am used to the ease and vigor of dry yeast packets.

I know you all will probably tell me to relax, but maybe I just need a little reassurance :)

b.t.w. pitch temp was 78

I made an Irish Red on Thursday night (3 days ago) and saw some okay airlock activity the next day. By Saturday it had all but stopped. The vodka is pushed up and it may be bubbling every 10 minutes or so.

The reason I ask is becuase it is the first time I have used a yeast starter pack and I am used to the ease and vigor of dry yeast packets.

I know you all will probably tell me to relax, but maybe I just need a little reassurance :)

b.t.w. pitch temp was 78

IMHO, reduce the the temp to around 68*. At that high temp, it may be all over. Yes, relax. Your beer will be fine. The only way you can tell where your beer is at now is to take a reading. If you are afraid you may contaminate your beer, use a sanitized piece of tubiing with a turkey baster on the end to collect a sample.

here's your reassurance:mug:

let's not rely on airlock activity to determine fermentation. The only reliable method is through your hydrometer. If you've noticed some bubbling, the yeast are doing their job. give them a few weeks, take a hydrometer reading (for insurance) and bottle or keg.

Are you fermenting in a bucket or carboy? In a bucket you can get a leak around the top which will slow (or stop) any airlock activity.

Also, it could be done if you fermented high. Watch out for lots of fruity flavors.

Relax... The airlock is not indicative of fermentation. The only way to know if fermentation is done is the same gravity reading for 3 days in a row...

Go ahead and get yourself a yummy craft beer! Just remember that the waiting is the hardest part :)

Latest posts

Back