Not making a full 5 gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volvodude

Reaction score
Greetings all. I have my first batch of beer ever (an APA) fermenting happily thanks to the sage advice garnered here. Next batch to be an IPA. I hope to do some sort of a stout after that for winter. My question is: Because I am not a huge stout drinker, I want to just make a 2-3 gallon batch. Is it as simple as just halving the ingredients, or is there anything else I need to take into account?

I believe there is software available, but I would just do 5 gallons, unless you are very limited on space. I have never had a problem getting rid of beer, even some of my early ones:O

It's pretty much as simple as halving the ingredients. Liquid yeast might not need a starter depending of course how heavy a gravity you expect to end up with. If the starting gravity will be over 1.065 -1.070 ish you might want one anyway Maybe a 3 gallon carboy if you are going to secondary ferment as well as the narrowness of the top minimizes the exposure to oxygen.

Back