Not Infected!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onescalerguy

Reaction score
Hey gang,
A while back i ranted about an infection problem and feared that a half-dozen batches were bad.I was so bummed(mad at beer)that i turned my back on the whole business.We quit brewing and hanging out on the forum for a month or so and sipped away at the good beers and even thought about buying some decent beer,gasp!(we haven't bought booze all year).So the other day we revisited some of those beers and they were great!Come to find out,they weren't bad just green.These brews just need more than 6 weeks from mash to mouth.6 weeks in the bottle should be the minimum!So the bottom line is that i'm no longer "mad at beer"and that i only dumped out 1 keg full and not the rest,thank god..My new mantra is "age that beer!".
Cheers:mug:

Just out of curiosity were the beers you feared a loss, ales or lagers?

Well, it seems that you are back in business.:mug:

runhard

Ales.They were some complex ales with alot of grain varieties.OldAles and StrongAles,also a couple wheats.I'm thinking that the crystal40 i use just takes longer to mellow.I got a bunch of it and was putting it into everything.Also they're all running 5 to 6.5%ALC so that alone requires longer aging.
My lagers turned out nice after 10-12 weeks.
Cheers

Back