Not hitting OG Numbers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage63

Reaction score
First off, I am sure that I am probably my own worst critic when it comes to home brewing.

Lately, I have been dialing in recipes into Beer Smith 2 and setting up based on 70% efficiency. My OG numbers have been coming in at 4 points below what is targeted per the software. For example, I just brewed an IPA with a target OG of 1.062 and I hit 1.058.

Beer Smith calculated this to be an approximately 74% mash efficiency. If that is the case, why would I be hitting 1.058?

Also, should I really be that concerned about coming 4 point UNDER the target? To me, it seems like an acceptable differential.

Thanks for the feedback & input!

You need to look at TOTAL efficiency...I think Beersmith will assume 70% Mash efficiency.....you can adjust your total efficiency on design page.

Beersmith will calculate ACTUAL efficiency base don OG once you enter that dat
a for a beer you have done.

So once you have an actual TOTAL efficiency from actual brews.....you can then put that in for total efficiency and simply adjust your recipe by adding or subtracting additional grain to get your OG.

It does not make sense that your total eff. would be higher than 70% if that was the value used in your recipe design...but u got a lower SG in reality......UNLESS your original volume was different......check all of your numbers....it is easy to get one out of place and make your numbers look funky

Did you enter your actual pre-boil volume and pre-boil SG on the mash page?

A lot of new (and oddly established) brewers think that efficiency is a competition. If you want to see some poor efficiency, look at the BIAB guys.. Anyways the only thing that matters with efficiency on the home brew scale is being able to design recipes as to predictably hit the numbers you are shooting for. If you're consistently 4 points under, then congratulations! You've discovered the efficiency of your own methods and equipment set up!

To follow on what Thebeerist said.....

If you know your efficiency...you put that in beersmith...and if you are doing a beer recipe someone has posted you enter the recipe.....and see if the OG matches the recipe based on your efficiency....if not....no big deal just add some grain to make up for the efficiency difference.

Vintage63 said:
First off, I am sure that I am probably my own worst critic when it comes to home brewing.

Lately, I have been dialing in recipes into Beer Smith 2 and setting up based on 70% efficiency. My OG numbers have been coming in at 4 points below what is targeted per the software. For example, I just brewed an IPA with a target OG of 1.062 and I hit 1.058.

Beer Smith calculated this to be an approximately 74% mash efficiency. If that is the case, why would I be hitting 1.058?

Also, should I really be that concerned about coming 4 point UNDER the target? To me, it seems like an acceptable differential.

Thanks for the feedback & input!

Way too many variables here to fully explain but equipment profile needs to be pretty spot on including knowing all losses.

You don't state how you are brewing, AG, extract, PM? How many time have you used Beersmith and have you adjusted anything as you brewed and learned the set up?

Beersmith is a tool to help you brew. .004 points is not a huge deal but if its a consistent problem then you need to adjust the software so the recipes do what you expect.

Also- there is a known efficiency issue with the software regarding how it calculate efficiencies. There is a poster-Cwi, I believe you can search in the brewing software forum, he speaks at length regarding this subject.

Thanks everyone for helping clarify my actual question. I am not concerned that I get "off the charts" efficiency. I just want to know how all the different "efficiency" variables in the Beer Smith software work, so I can dial in an accurate number for my system when inputting/designing recipes.

I have carefully accounted for all losses and set-up my equipment profile with those numbers.

For example, I brewed an IPA yesterday from Brewing Classic Styles and these are the results:

Equipment Profile --Tot Efficiency: 70%
Measured Mash Efficiency: 74%
Measured Efficiency: 60%

To help dial in the numbers more closely on my next brew, should I set the Total Efficiency in the equipment profile to 60% and see how it goes?

How many recipes have you done? If you have brewed 3 or more, take the average of all the "brewhouse" efficiencies and go with that. That is the efficiency of the entire brew process from start to finish.

The other thing you need to consider is the recipe you are inputting and how to use the scale tool. For example: if you take a given recipe that is listed at 75% then you enter into your software with 75% as your efficiency in the recipe. Once the recipe is all in then use the scale tool to change the recipe to your efficiency and be sure to check the box that keeps everything the same such as IBU and gravity. The software will then adjust your ingredients to reflect your systems efficiency.

One thing that really helped me in my quest for repeatability was measuring my pre-boil gravity. With the use of a refractometer one can stop their sparge when they reach the target and not dilute their wort too far. Also by using the aforementioned knowledge of your known efficiency then you can tweak the grain bill to hit your target. Make sure that you are able to accurately measure your volumes in your kettle or you can not measure your efficiency with any accuracy at all. Make a dip stick or score the inside of your kettle with qt. markings. Remember to have fun!:mug: 4 points are not a killer unless you are swinging 4 point on both sides of your target gravity, then it is potentially 8 points.

Cheers!!!

For example, I brewed an IPA yesterday from Brewing Classic Styles and these are the results:

Equipment Profile --Tot Efficiency: 70%
Measured Mash Efficiency: 74%
Measured Efficiency: 60%

To help dial in the numbers more closely on my next brew, should I set the Total Efficiency in the equipment profile to 60% and see how it goes?

Pay really, really close attention to all of your wort volumes pre boil, post boil, post chilling, and into the fermentor. BeerSmith calculates the total "brewhouse efficiency" - so it is looking for the OG into the fermentor and the volume of wort into the fermentor, based on where you started.

Until you completely dial in your system or brew day, set the cooling loss and trub loss to zero in your equipment profile. Record your volume post boil, pull a sample (from the BK - let it sit to the side and cool) That will give you your efficiency as I believe most people discuss and base recipes on.

You are within the acceptable range. As you try to figure it down within a point or two, knowing all of your exact wort volumes at various times are key. A 1/4 G here or there makes a big impact on efficiency.

Its a lot more work to do that. An easier way, if you are consistently lower, is to plan for lower efficiency, use the extra small bit of grain, brew, relax, and enjoy.

Thanks guys! I just got blinders on and didn't see it clearly. I"ll go back and take the average of "measured efficiency" from the last 6 brew sessions and enter that into Total Efficiency in the equipment profile.

It's pretty interesting to see that they are all in the 60's with exception of one. I can't believe I overlooked this trend in the numbers.

59.9%
59.2%
61.4%
70.4%
63.7%
66.6%

Average of Total Efficiency: 63.5%

I use a sight glass on the boil kettle measured in 1/2 gallon increments and a refractometer to measure pre-boil gravity. So, I think I have that part of my process dialed in pretty good.

Thanks again, it seems like I am now on the right track.

Back