Not Fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark7282

Reaction score
Hi all, I just brewed my first batch of home brew using a starter kit. After 12 hours or so the air gap started bubbling and then continued to bubble for about 48 hours or so. Now it has completely stopped bubbling.

From everything I've read it seems like you are suppose to see activity from the air gap for atleast a week or so. Do you guys think something is wrong?

Not sure if this matters, but the hydrometer initially read 1.055 when the wort went into the fermenter, and now I measured it again and it reads 1.025. Am I correct in assuming that this indicates some fermentation has taken place?

I'm not exactly sure where to go from here, any advice?

Mark

I often get this. Oddly, lately it'll start up again about 48 hours later. I simply park it to ferment for 4 weeks or so, and have good luck.

Give it a bit of a shake, and it's possible it'll start up again - stuck fermentation. Of course, you need to wait a day for it to start up again.

yes, some fermentation has happened, but I bet you'll get some more.

Don't worry, just wait.

Relax. Even though the bubbling has slowed down, it doesn't mean it's completely done. Check it again in a week.

Three or so days of airlock activity is perfectly normal. However, just because the airlock has stopped bubbling doesn't mean the beer is done fermenting. The drop in gravity from 1.055 to 1.025 is proof that fermentation is occurring but the yeast will continue to work well after active fermentation has passed. Leave it in the fermenter and take another gravity reading in a week.

FWIW, I generally leave my beers in primary for at least three weeks before checking gravity or transferring.

Airlock activity is not an accurate indication of fermentation. Fermentation may still be occurring even though the airlock has no activity. Leave the beer for 10-14 days, then take hydrometer readings on consecutive days; if the reading remains constant fermentation is done.

It is also perfectly normal for the airlock to slow down after 48-72 hours.

Back