Not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gator777

Reaction score
Brewed yesterday and still visible sing of airlock movement. It's been 24 hours.

I'm brewing an IPA with a starting gravity at 1.070 I pitched the yeast at 75f. It's now at 70f it's been 24 hours and still no airlock movement. Is this a concern?

Did you rehydrate the yeast? Not saying you needed to, but I wonder.
Also, sometimes fermentation can take 48 hours. It's not uncommon. Are you certain the lid is on tight (if using a bucket) or the bung is in well if you're using a carboy?

And just a thought, I could be wrong but at that OG a blow off tube may be wise. Someone else can chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Oh and here is more on the US-05 yeast with that gravity.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/safale-05-1-070-og-235642/

Seems to be okay with 1 packet and will start but I wouldn't worry until day 2.

+1 ^^^^^

Airlocks are not a good indication of fermentation. Also it can take up to 72 hours to get started. Be patient and check your seals of the bucket which could be the culprit.

Are you using a bucket? Gas leaks are common with the lids. 1.070 is fairly big so probably a slight underpitch - longer lag time. I bet it is fermenting or will be in a few more hours.

Yes it's in a bucket but the seal is good. I'm about 95% positive.

Thanks all I got my gravity down to 1.015. And you guys were right it was the stupid bucket. I'm thinking it will ferment down to 1.010 with time. So again thanks for all your guys help.

Latest posts

Back