Not even three hours into a starter. Activity already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrongBad42

Reaction score
I hope this picture posts ok. Is this normal for a starter to look like this after about 2.5 hours? I did throw in a pinch of yeast energizer.

Attachments

• 20190402_015304.jpg
    20190402_015304.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
Yep. I do vitality starters that only run for 4 hours (and then immediately pitch) and there's always activity.

Cheers

Yep. I do vitality starters that only run for 4 hours (and then immediately pitch) and there's always activity.

Cheers

Is there a good resource for better understanding vitality starters? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times and would like to learn more about it.

Sorry I don't have any links handy.

If you look at the life cycle of yeast during fermentation you'll see that all the growth happens at the beginning (lag phase -> exponential growth -> anaerobic fermentation). The thinking is that letting the starter ferment all the way just drains the yeast of their energy and stressed them with alcohol.

This approach definitely works well for me.
For 5-6 gal batch:
500mL starter wort (1.030-1.040) with nutrient. Add yeast, aerate on a stir plate for 4 hours, and then pitch.

Bonus is that I'm not pitching oxidized beer into my wort.

Ah ok, then that’s what I do as well. I aim to pitch the yeast right as the starter is getting a krausen.

I hope this picture posts ok. Is this normal for a starter to look like this after about 2.5 hours? I did throw in a pinch of yeast energizer.

very normal. i made a cider starter last weekend and had activity in less than an our. yeast love simple sugar.

if a loaf of bread can rise in an hour, that's normal

edit: just thought i'd add something someone else didn't point out...:D

You'd have trouble decanting at peak activity as it would all be in suspension
It's not until it's done it's "thing" and starts to floc that you could really separate and decant

Unless you make/buy and use a centrifuge
which would be superwickedawesomecool.

Back