Not enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCfirstbrew

Reaction score
Made and american amber ale and did all the steps correctly. But only had enough to fill 39 bottles instead of 48? Help

NC, I'm going to assume that you are doing an extract brew so correct me if I'm wrong.

Most likely problem: You may not have topped up to the appropriate 5 Gallon level

other problems: you may have used a 2ndary and did not rack the entire wort off of your trub.
you may not have waited long in primary before racking. the longer you wait (up to a month or two), the more compact the trub will be meaning you are able to rack off more beer.
Your bottling process might have been a little messy and you spilled a lot of brew?

That's all I can think of right now. Let us know if any of those items strike a chord.

My guess is the first. did not top to 5 gallons. (remember if you start a boil with 5 gallons, you'll be lucky to have 4 by the end.)

Beer gnomes.

They steal your beer, get drunk, and then go steal one sock from each pair in your dryer.

Bastards, I tell you.

(for the record, I'm with phatuna and elmetal....you didn't top up. Or you have larger than 12 oz bottles....Conservation of Mass and Beer says it didn't just disappear - I learnt that in college! :drunk:)

Yeah, I'm gonna go with you didn't have a full batch to start out with. 39 12oz bottles is about 3.66 gallons. Misplacing 1.34 gallons is a little tricky.

Thanks to all. Love the replies. Wish I could say I "had a few" during the process. Bottling went very clean and no spillage. Only used a very small amount for sampling times 2. Unfortunately my guide sheet did not state to top off to 5 gallons. Silly me, evaporation my dear Guiness.
Thanks all. I wont give up the fight or the journey!!

Don't trust the markings on the buckets, they lie are are usually 1/4 to 1/2 a gallon low.

lol this is a funny, useless post :)

Whatd you expect someone to jump up and tell you that the yeast made your water dissapear ?

lol this is a funny, useless post :)

Whatd you expect someone to jump up and tell you that the yeast made your water dissapear ?

They were thirsty!!! The beer must have been good! Everyone knows yeast piss is more dense than beer, which is why he had less at bottling.

I measure out a quarter and a half gallon in a generic pitcher, then fill my carboys, marking at 1/4 gal points up to 1 gal, then at 1/2 gal points to 6 gal. then I noted my keggle fill line at the 5.5 gal , and set my chiller to that height, so during boil I can see my mark when the level breaks the immersion chiller top coil, I also marked my paddle at 1/2 gal marks to get a pre-boil volume, I find that marking my volume everywhere keeps the beer gnomes at bay, those little bastards will pilfer your beer if you dont keep a close eye on em! BTW I brew all-grain so my process is a little different but still...measure and mark!!!

Back