Not enough yeast....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshlc

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just started off my second brew. I'm using 8kg of orange blossom to make 18L in total. However, I've just filled the fermenter and realised I only have 5g of yeast, I reckon I need at least 8g. it will be around 24 hours until I can get any more, should I add the 5g and top it up later or wait and add the whole lot in 24 hours?

Also, I'm using Gervin GV4, it was recommended by the lady in the homebrew store as ideal for making a strong mead, thoughts?

Cheers!

Not familiar with that yeast, but yes you can pitch some yeast now, and more later... but by the time you add more yeast it’ll prob already start fermenting. Did you add any nutrients? You can also make a starter, just take a about a .25-.5 liter of your must, add another .25L of water to it, pitch Your yeast into that to get it started and growing. then pitch that whole thing into your must in 12-24hrs.

It will just get started a little slower; That's not nearly little enough yeast that you'd risk yours being out competed by wild yeast.

Remember, the yeast *reproduce*, by the time you're done you'll have a lot more than 8 grams of yeast in that fermenter.

Back