Not enough room in lauter tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kaj030201

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
I am thinking of brewing a Doppelbock where I will need 17lbs. of grains, and I am afraid I dont have enough room in my 10 gallon Igloo cooler lauter/mash tun. What can I do?

Thanks!
 

Funkenjaeger

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
18
Location
Nashua, NH
eriktlupus said:
ya should be fine with 17#. i fit 12-13# in my five gallon cooler
I agree - I try not to go above 11-12# in my 5gal, but you should have more than enough room for 17 in a cooler twice the size.
 
OP
K

kaj030201

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
wait- I guess mine IS a 5 gallon. What should I do??
 

CBBaron

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
2,780
Reaction score
21
Location
Cleveland
kaj030201 said:
wait- I guess mine IS a 5 gallon. What should I do??
In that case use 12# of grain and DME to make up the difference. Or you can do 2 mashes and combine them in the brew kettle. 17# of grain will not fit in a 5gal cooler with a reasonable amount of mash water.
Craig
 

cclloyd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
2,964
Reaction score
33
Location
Largo
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but.... how full does 12 or so lbs of grain fill a 5 gallon round cooler? I have converted one and have been using it to mash 4-5 lbs for each of my last several batches and it fills up between a third and half of the volume at one quart of water per pound of grain - you are successfully mashing 12 lbs + ? I would like to go all grain or at least minimize the DME/LME I use. Any input is appreciated.
 

Funkenjaeger

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
18
Location
Nashua, NH
12lb is pushing a 5gal cooler close to the brim. If I mash that much I have to drain some wort before I can even think about adding boiling water to mash out.

Using the handy "Can I Mash It?" calculator:
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml
12lb of grain at 1.25qt/lb mash thickness will take up about 4.71 gallons of space.
 

shafferpilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
1,579
Reaction score
17
Location
Cincinnati OH
Split it up into two mashes of 8.5lbs a piece. You'll have plenty of room. Be careful to avoid oversparging the first mash and undersparging the second or vice versa.
 

shunoshi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
426
Reaction score
3
Location
Hopkins, MN
cclloyd said:
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but.... how full does 12 or so lbs of grain fill a 5 gallon round cooler? I have converted one and have been using it to mash 4-5 lbs for each of my last several batches and it fills up between a third and half of the volume at one quart of water per pound of grain - you are successfully mashing 12 lbs + ? I would like to go all grain or at least minimize the DME/LME I use. Any input is appreciated.
I mash 4-5 lbs. of grains in my 2-gallon MLT. There's a lot more room than you think. ;)
 

ajf

Senior Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Oct 29, 2005
Messages
4,648
Reaction score
119
Location
Long Island
cclloyd said:
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but.... how full does 12 or so lbs of grain fill a 5 gallon round cooler? I have converted one and have been using it to mash 4-5 lbs for each of my last several batches and it fills up between a third and half of the volume at one quart of water per pound of grain - you are successfully mashing 12 lbs + ? I would like to go all grain or at least minimize the DME/LME I use. Any input is appreciated.
I use 1 qt water per lb, and can mash 13 lbs grain in a 5g cooler, leaving enough space for 1g mash out water. (I could probably fit another lb grain in there without overflowing, but I've never tried it.)
With the 13 lbs grain, I fly sparge (which requires very little extra space in the cooler). I don't want to think how many additions it would take to batch sparge. :)

-a.
 

CBBaron

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
2,780
Reaction score
21
Location
Cleveland
ajf said:
I use 1 qt water per lb, and can mash 13 lbs grain in a 5g cooler, leaving enough space for 1g mash out water. (I could probably fit another lb grain in there without overflowing, but I've never tried it.)
With the 13 lbs grain, I fly sparge (which requires very little extra space in the cooler). I don't want to think how many additions it would take to batch sparge. :)

-a.
Thats the reason I limit myself to just over 12# in my 5 gal. With 2 additional sparges to the brim I get about 6.5 gal which is the right amount of pre-boil volume for my system to give me 5.5gal in the fermenter. Any more grain and either I end up shy or have to sparge a 3rd time. With 12# and 1.25qt/# I have just enough room to stir the mash and the sparging works out well also. With some tricks you may fit more buts its not worth it in my opinion.
Craig
 
Top