Not enough Priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I bottled a Raspberry(4lbs) Honey(24oz.) Wheat(3.3lbs,+ 1lbs. amber malt). I have opened a bottle and poured it out. It has a good head but is not carbonated enough for me. I used 3/4 cup corn sugar in to 5-5.5 gals.

Can I re-prime the beer?

Or should I just wait longer? Will it get more carbonated as time goes?

Thanks, D

If it's not carbed at three weeks @ 70 degrees then they are simply not ready yet. You don't need to do anything to them...You didn't do anything wrong, and you added plenty of sugar.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition....

That belgian strong needed another 6 months before it even became drinkable....

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Just try one again in a week, and if not, another week, and eventually they will be carbed perfectly fine.

If it's not carbed at three weeks @ 70 degrees then they are simply not ready yet.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.
QUOTE]

The area that they are stored is maybe too cold, 55 degrees?

If it's not carbed at three weeks @ 70 degrees then they are simply not ready yet.

QUOTE]

The area that they are stored is maybe too cold, 55 degrees?

Yes, if you are storing them at 55 the yeast is sluggish, if not dormant, so they will take forever to carb. If that's the case, then put them in a warm closet for another 2 weeks minimum, before you even bother checking them.

Reevy is right, I've been leaving my beer in a closet or by a radiator for 3 weeks(which keeps them at about 65). Then I move them into my cooler basement for another 2 weeks before enjoying.

Yes, if you are storing them at 55 the yeast is sluggish, if not dormant, QUOTE]

If yeast is dormant, will the 70 degree temp re-activate them?

www.wbservr.com/beer
Beerblog

Yes, they will wake up just fine. What yuo might want to do, after they've been warm a couple days, is invert them once quickly to rouse the yeast off the bottom, if they've been sitting for two weeks that cool the yeast has more than likely flocculated to the bottom, and compressed itself. So giving them a little flip will get the yeast off the bottom and back into solution.

Back