not enough body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr210

Reaction score
i brewed a smoked porter recently, i bottled it a little over a week ago and cracked one open last night to see how it is coming along. now, i know the beer is still young, but it felt watery on my palate and that stopped a lot of the smokiness from coming through. is this something that will get better with time? what can i do for subsequent batches to increase the body?

sounds like it's still green to me. I've experienced that sort of thing. Give it a couple more weeks to develop or "condition" the flavors.

@geer do specialty grains and malt extract count as mashing (honest question, i dont mean to sound sarcastic or anything)? i steeped my specialty grains at ~152*

@union thats what i thought, wanted to check with the pros! :)

@geer do specialty grains and malt extract count as mashing (honest question, i dont mean to sound sarcastic or anything)? i steeped my specialty grains at ~152*

@union thats what i thought, wanted to check with the pros! :)

Honestly- I haven't done any extract brewing but I would assume that you are still converting sugars and at a higher temp, you would still get more fermentables from the specialty grains and less body. 152 is a good temp so I would agree with the concensus here and say give it time.

Back