Not enough beer after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcor73

Reaction score
I somehow mis-measured when boiling my wort and I did not catch it after primary fermenatation. I only discovered it upon transferring it to my secondary. Is there anything I can do to make up for the lost beer or will it negatively affect the taste,

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dave C

Assuming the difference is a half gallon or less, don't bother.
Do the math. 1/2 gallon over 50 beers isn't going to be missed.

Chalk it up as a learning experience and take notes on what effect it had.
It's not worth the risk of infection of messing with the fermentation environment.

Your tastebuds should be the guide here.

How "Short" were you. What was your gravity compared to your target gravity.

The only way I'd suggest adding water to your beer is if it shows signs of being obviously over-concentrated. (too high gravity...).

If you're only a 1/2 gallon short, and your gravity is on the high-side...adding back the water (boiled and then cooled) would be okay.

If you're a gallon or more short and your gravity is close to target...live with the smaller batch.

olllllo said:
placeholder
I had you beat olllllo :)

BierMuncher said:
How "Short" were you. What was your gravity compared to your target gravity.

The only way I'd suggest adding water to your beer is if it shows signs of being obviously over-concentrated. (too high gravity...).

If you're only a 1/2 gallon short, and your gravity is on the high-side...adding back the water (boiled and then cooled) would be okay.

If you're a gallon or more short and your gravity is close to target...live with the smaller batch.

I had you beat olllllo :)

That's a couple over the last few days. I was going to post something that had the effect of saying don't listen to that Biermuncher guy, but I didn't want to confuse the poor guy.

OP, Biermuncher has good advice here if you took readings. If not and it tastes good leave it be. Shorting yourself on the volume of beer is not the worst thing.

olllllo said:
That's a couple over the last few days. I was going to post something that had the effect of saying don't listen to that Biermuncher guy, but I didn't want to confuse the poor guy.
Ya gotta get up pretty early in the morning to beat my bad advice. :p

All kidding aside, they are giving you truly great advice that it took me a long time to appreciate. Hitting the correct OG is far more important than getting a full 5 gallons of beer. All the important stuff hinges on balance which relies on correct OGs.

Thanks for all the advice, I ended up boiling about a gallon of water and some light ale extract and mixed it in. Hopefully all ends well and I have a good mix of beers. So now I have 4 gallons of an Irish Red mixed with 1 gallon of Light American Ale. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the advice.

Dave

Well Dave, you've just re-introdcued fermentables.

So now your secondary is back to a primary again. You'll wanna rack again in a week and let it sit in secondary again if you want the beer to clear.

Back