not distilling related...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
but i DON'T have a stuck ferment.....but i think two weeks to finish a 1.061 sugar wash is a bit much! it's been a week, it's down to 1.020, lost about 1.007 from yesterday, but looks like the yeast are starving....

any quick tips to put some fun back in the guy's? i used a wheat germ tea of about 1lb+ of wheat germ tea for 10 gallons...wine yeast premiere blanc....i even added some DAP to this batch, it's fermenting slower then the last i left the germ solids in....

ph is around 4.....should be alright?

(and this is just ideal conversation about something i'm working on that company would be fun to have, i'll get it figured out on my own if need be. but welcome creativity! :mug:)

Sam_92

A whimsical brewer.
Reaction score
Add some water or some oxygen? I know yeast get starved of nutruents fermenting plain old sugar, maybe some yeast nutrient?

OP
OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
maybe some yeast nutrient?

well i plan on drinking this straight up/with a twist of orange juice.....it worked last time, and better when i left the wheat germ pulp in, but wouldn't disspense through the keg.... and yeah @seatazzz if you want to chime in, i assure both my mom & dad are fast asleep! and haven't found the three secret refridgerators i use to sneak this under their noses yet! ;)

damn thinking about it now though, i added alpha amylase to the last wheat germ tea, after it cooled to ~158f...hmmm, maybe a secret weapon? it was really just me trying to see if it'd strain better, so didn't do again this time....

Homebrew Harry

Reaction score
Well I hate to see this. I was thinking of trying some wheat germ the next time myself. I was going to ask you how much to use, haha. I need you to get this figured out soon in case I need to be spoon fed. I was amazed at how fast wash with some tomato paste clears. On the flip side of that I was surprised to see how long it took for some OJ to clear for me.

OP
OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I hate to see this. I was thinking of trying some wheat germ the next time myself.

me too...let me go check the gravity now...well from yesterday afternoon's 1.020 to today it's at ~1.012 now, but i started this wash on the 6th of june 2022.....it's the 14th now? and i'm just used to beer being done in 4-5 days....

it is a 16 gallon fermenter, maybe i should just plan to ferment 15 gallons at a time for 3 kegs....

Reaction score
me too...let me go check the gravity now...well from yesterday afternoon's 1.020 to today it's at ~1.012 now, but i started this wash on the 6th of june 2022.....it's the 14th now? and i'm just used to beer being done in 4-5 days....

it is a 16 gallon fermenter, maybe i should just plan to ferment 15 gallons at a time for 3 kegs....
8 days? Be patient brother. They have a hard hard life.... :)

OP
OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Homebrew Harry well it's down to 1.005 or so today, and i'm drinking it....it's got an odd taste that i think is the DAP i added this time, i'd recomend against it...it's not bad, but i'd rather it wasn't there.....i don't think it helped anyway.....

OP
OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i had two fermenters going with the germ sugar wash, just kegged the second one, that was started on the 7th... it finished at 0.995....

eyeballed half gallon of o.j. into the keg before filling them.....i'm not saying i'm quiting brewing, but in a pinch...

i'm making more wheat germ tea in the oven this time set to low.....i'm going to just let it steep for a few hours, then strain.....

and the one that was sluggish i left sitting in a graduated cyclinder with a hydro, and after another week, dropped to 0.995 too....

OP
OP
bracconiere

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hey anyone with more sugar wash experience know if this idea would work to ease the process, put about 1 gallon of boiling hot water on the last batches yeast cake, wait 10-15 minutes, then top up with the rest of the water and add the sugar? i've read dead yeast can be used as nutrients?

lumpher

Reaction score
Better to use that cake to ferment your next batch of mash and use yeast nutrient. It'll take off like wildfire.

Latest posts