not cooling a Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
Hi All,

So yesterday I made a basic no boil Berliner Weisse. However, I just ran straight from the mash tun into a carboy; no cooling. I then placed that carboy into my fermentation chamber which is at 100 F (threw some uncracked 2 row into the wort to get the lacto going). Less than 12 hours later the wort is at 108 F.

Did this create any problems with DMS or some other off flavor/smell that i'm not aware of or should I just chill out and not worry about it? :confused::(

So a couple odd things happened.

1. The carboy contracted and shot some wort out the top.
2. The lacto started but it didn't sour as quickly as normal. (usually 4 days). At the start of day 4 it was a bit sour but not enough, so I had some plain greek yogurt and I threw that in. BAM! Sour! In about 6 hours it went from middling sour to pucker! Booya! That really got it over the hump.

I think the heat killed off some of the lacto. I probably would have gotten there on it's own but taken longer. the yogurt booster worked great though! Boil is done and yeast pitched!

So a couple odd things happened.

1. The carboy contracted and shot some wort out the top.
2. The lacto started but it didn't sour as quickly as normal. (usually 4 days). At the start of day 4 it was a bit sour but not enough, so I had some plain greek yogurt and I threw that in. BAM! Sour! In about 6 hours it went from middling sour to pucker! Booya! That really got it over the hump.

I think the heat killed off some of the lacto. I probably would have gotten there on it's own but taken longer. the yogurt booster worked great though! Boil is done and yeast pitched!

I doubt the yogurt did anything. There is an incubation period for any latco that is added, so the lacto from the yogurt probably hadn't even started in the 6 hours. However, once lacto has started, it works really quick, doubling its population every hour or so (varies with strain or conditions), so I suspect it was your original pitch that did the trick, and not the added yogurt.

Totally possible. It did sit for 3.5 days and only got a little way, but then really stacked up in the last 6 hours. In any case a good beer at the end of the day. Solid fermentation with kolsch yeast.

Back