Not another think I ruined my beer thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeerpig

Reaction score
So I have two questions with my first batch of wheat beer. I Pitched yesterday afternoon around 5 pm with Windsor yeast at about 80* and put it in my fermenting closet that is a constant 68 - 69 because I am cooking some Apfelwein which I wanted the fruity esters to come out. So I checked it today and it is bubbling away and the temp on the room is the same but my bucket fermometer is at 75 to off the charts. My question is should I leave it alone in the room, or move to a cooler part of the house in hopes of getting more pull down from the exothermic reaction known as fermenting??? I checked the windsor website and they suggest fermenting at 64 to 70 which is a little lower than I am at now unless they mean the room temp should be 64 to 70 which seems odd to me.

The other quick question I have is a little bit of the foam in the fermentor even though I have a gallon and a half of headspace made it in to the airlock which was filled with Vodka. It did not boil over just discolored the vodka and is still merrily bubbling away. Should I dump and refill the airlock or forget about it.

I am always learning so that is why I threw it up to the forum.

It looks like you have some homebrew on tap, so go ahead, relax and have a homebrew.

During a vigorous fermention your fermentor could go up to 10 degrees more than the ambient temp as it is creating its own heat.

I combat this by sticking the fermentor in a water bath or a rubber storage box filled with water in my case. It is in my back room with is fairly cold right now, so I am heating the water with an aquarium heater.

I think the water may have gone up by 1 degree as a result of the fermentor heat.

Wheats tend to go apes#%$ when they ferment for some reason.I'd move it to somewhere around 60-65F if I could then clean out your airlock and put in more vodka(and take a couple shots yourself)Hot fermented wheats are a little more estery tasting but it will be fine although the first few may give you a headache until it ages for a few weeks.

agreed. moderately cooler temps for wheats- around 60 degrees F to ferment. i am in the conditioning phase of my wheat batch now. fermentation was perfect at about 57-63 degrees

Wheat gives high head retention, which means big krausens that may not fall.

Windsor is an odd yeast to use for a wheat, let us know how it turns out.

Back