NOT an infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I'm posting these photos because there seems to be a lot of "infection" questions. I can totally understand why people get worried because fermentation can be butt ugly sometimes.

These are NOT infections. Just ugly stuff to not be worried about. Both turned out great.

DSC_0191x.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

What kind of brew is that in the second picture? It certainly looks horrific. :eek:

Edited: That's fruit, right? Tell me it's fruit. That carboy would certainly keep me up at night.

I thought I stumbled onto the cheese making forum. :)

Did you at least get a six pack out of that bottom one? :D

The 2nd photo is a Pale Ale with Kolsch yeast about 2 hours after I pitched.

First photo is a brown Ale with British Ale 1098.

What I have found is all yeasts look different. I FREAKED on #1(as Revvy knows) but people said relax - it's a great beer now after 4 months aging.

#2 broke up when the violent fermentation started. I have to think it was a Whirlfloc thing going on.

#1 looks a bit strange, but I don't think it'd be enough to make me panic.

#2 looks like the beer from beyond the grave, and I'd probably **** a kitten if I saw that.

Awesome that they both turned out great. It just goes to show, you can't judge a book by it's cover. :mug:

The key on #2 is that where it as not "solid" it was crystal clear. Once things really started to ferment it all became opaque like any other beer.

Revvy called it an Iceburg krauzen - is that a real name of something

Thanks for posting the pics, Grinder. I have something similar to #1 going on but not quite so ugly. I was trying not to worry, but you know how hard that can be at times.;)

Thanks for posting the pics, Grinder. I have something similar to #1 going on but not quite so ugly. I was trying not to worry, but you know how hard that can be at times.;)

The trick is to ferment in a keg or a bucket. Then your beer will never look ugly and you will never worry.

You can also try the "bag on the head" sort of trick by putting a t-shirt on there. If you go the t-shirt route, you have to resist the urge to go to second base: leave the shirt on and both of you will have a better long term relationship - you don't need to know all the details about her before she graces your lips, just how she tastes when you finally meet her properly.

If I put just a t-shirt on her, then she won't have any panties on, and that might make an interesting evening going around all the bases in the brew closet.:drunk:

I'm telling you - use a true top-cropper like Dusseldorf Alt or West Yorkshire and you'll see Bisquick rafting on the beer.

Back