Not a beginner, but getting back into it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgreen7

Reaction score
I've assisted in about a dozen brewing sessions w/ one of my buddies. Since he was the one w/ the equipment, i never really needed my own. Well, he moved, so i'm left w/o a way to brew.
I'd like to get a kegging kit, but i also know that i need the full brewing setup. I'd like to do all grain vs an extract or partial mash.
Basically, what i'm looking for is advice on what equipment to get. I know morebeer has a decent setup for kegging and brewing, but dont' know if i'm missing something important out of it.
Any advice?
THanks,
Jason

Jason,
If you're going to brew all grain, you'll need a mash tun. There's a thread (I believe authored by flyguy) to convert a cooler to a MLT.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

You'll also need a way to quickly cool the wort. BobbyM has a video showing how to build an immersion chiller out of copper coil.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8EolKTDZUQ&feature=PlayList&p=DD904B9BABCE723C&index=0&playnext=1]YouTube - Immersion Chiller (IC) Build[/ame]
Many brewers, when brewing full boils, use a turkey fryer and propane tank.

I'm sure others can offer more advice, but this will get you started.
Welcome to the obsession.:mug:

First list what you have.

For basic AG you will need:

Large Kettle (turkey fryer?)
Burner or large stovetop burner (make sure your stove can handle the weight!)
MLT (cooler of some sort, modified)
Chiller (likely an IC or CFC)
hydrometer
Siphon hose
Thermometer
Fermenter (buckets or bottles)
Airlocks
long spoon

once you get going on AG you can get a crusher and buy bulk grain. Until then, the LHBS will usually crush your grains for you.

Back