Northwest Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I have a kit to make an AG California Common. It came with steam beer lager yeast. I have a batch in my primary, though, that needs to go to the secondary and it was made with northwest ale yeast. What do you think will happen if I just pitch onto the northwest ale yeast instead of using the steam beer yeast?

I dont know about the NW Ale yeat, but the Calif. Common is a lager yeast that ferments nicely around 65 degrees F. So, if the NW ale yeast is just a regular ale yeast, it wont ferment as "clean" as the lager yeast. It'll make for nice beer, just maybe not as clean, without esters.

Pumbaa said:
I think you'll end up with a very nice batch of NW ale and have left over Cali Steam yeast for another day

You might just be right. Seems a shame to waste that yeast by just dumping it down the drain. Maybe I'll just save the CC for the next batch.

Back