Northern's Dry Irish Stout Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACarver

Reaction score
Going to order Northern's Dry Irish Stout extract kit in the next few days and am trying to decide on the yeast. You can get S-04 Ale Yeast (dry) for about $3, or Wyeast 1084 Irsih Ale (liquid) for about $6. Like to make a yeast starter so I am leaning towards the Wyeast.

Anyone have experience with either or a preference?

i love using s-04 for stouts. It floc's like a mo-fo and saves time and money because it does NOT require a starter. Im not sure why you would want to make a starter, but if you really feel the need go for the wyeast irish ale yeast, which is also very good!

my vote: s-04

also- love the dry irish stout kit! I added 4oz of blueberry extract to mine at bottling for a blueberry stout. It got way better with age. 1yr+ it was a very great stout. (earlier, too, just better with age!)

I bought this kit back in March or so. It was my first brew for my Nitrogen setup. It's a fantastic beer - tastes similar to Murphys. I believe I used the White Labs yeast in this, as I usually buy White Labs.

Just brewed it with 1084. Kegged yesterday and tastes great. I love 1084.

used the wyeast here with a starter, wild, fast ferment, crazy but cool. It came out great. I carbonated my with CO2 in a corny and it ended up being a bit more carbonated than 'the real thing' but I actually liked it better that way. I have always felt stouts are a bit flat (maybe too many years of drinking cheap beer) but it gives a good feel in the mouth and going down.

Back