Northern Colorado-CMC group buy round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we order more grain?

• Yes, do it now.

• No, I'm good

• Yes, but maybe later in the year

Results are only viewable after voting.

ColoHox

Compulsive Hand Washer
Reaction score
It's been a year. I don't know about you guys, but I plowed through my grain.

Whatya think about another round?

Last year I ran everything through a google form and accepted prepayment via paypal or google wallet. That seems to work well.

Colorado Malting Company also has new specialty grains, check out their catalog for more info.

We need to fill a pallet for this to be worth it, so about 40 sacks of various grains. Think about it.

Colorado Grain Diastatic Malts per lb <2000# (>2000# Pallet Pricing)
Colorado Pilsner (1.5-1.9L) 1.00 (0.89)
Colorado 2-Row (2.0-2.4L) 1.00 (0.89)
Colorado Base Pale (2.4-2.9L) 1.00 (0.89)
Colorado Belgian Style (2.9-4.0L) 1.00 (1.00)
Colorado Malted White Wheat (1.5-2.0L) 1.00 (0.95)
Colorado Malted Red Wheat (2.0-2.5L) 1.00 (0.95)
Colorado Malted Rye (2.0-3.0L) 1.00 (0.94)
Colorado Malted Organic Rye (2.0-3.0L) 1.10 (0.99)
Colorado Malted Triticale (2.0-3.0L) 1.29 (1.20)
FULL PINT® Barley Malt (4.0-5.0L) 1.50 (1.00)

Colorado Grain Specialty Malts
Colo-Pils [comparable to CaraPils®] Dextrin Malt (1.5-1.9L) 1.99
Colo-Foam [comparable to CaraFoam®] Dextrin Malt (2.0-3.0L) 1.99
Colorado Vienna (6-9L) 1.99
Colorado Munich (10-12L) 1.99
Colorado Chateau Abbey (15-19L) 2.50
Colorado Biscuit (20-30L) 2.50
Colorado Crystal (20-100L) 2.50
Colorado Belgian Chocolate (250-300L) 2.89
Colorado Smoked Malt (Alamosa Smoke) 1.79 (1.75)
Colorado Peat Smoked Malt 1.89 (1.85)
Colorado Custom Roasted UNmalted Barley/Wheat/Rye 1.50 (1.25)

RAW Colorado barley/wheat/rye 0.59 (0.49)
RAW Colorado oats 0.69 (0.59)
RAW Colorado Organic Rye 0.69 (0.59)

I would be in for 100-200 lbs if we can get over the 2000 lb mark. The prices are not much better than the lhbs otherwise when I purchase grain by the bag.

Thanks for the reply. I am also getting 200-300 lbs. I know the price difference between this and lhbs is not significant, however I am most interested in getting colorado grown and malted grains. It is quality stuff too. Were you in on the last buy?

I agree the Colorado grown/malted grain is an incentive. At 1.00 per lb for base grain it is still not a bad deal (especially considering we are keeping it local) it would just be nice to get it to the lower price if possible. I was not in the deal last year. I did not have the storage capabilities for much last year and had just purchased a 50 lbs when this was going on last year.

I agree the Colorado grown/malted grain is an incentive. At 1.00 per lb for base grain it is still not a bad deal (especially considering we are keeping it local) it would just be nice to get it to the lower price if possible. I was not in the deal last year. I did not have the storage capabilities for much last year and had just purchased a 50 lbs when this was going on last year.

The only way this is worthwhile is if we can fill a pallet. At that weight, most of the base malts are $.89/lb, which makes it a pretty great deal.

Yeah, I got 2 bags of pilsner and 1 each of 2-row and pale ale. I'm just about out of the 2-row and pale ale, but I have about 1.25 bags of pils left. For round 2, I'd be looking for at least 1 each of the 2-row and pale ale, as well as a sack of malted wheat.

Bump

Last round it took a lot of prodding to get you guys to comment and participate.

We are at 9-14 of required 40 bags. Please comment or participate in the poll if you are interested. I know there are a ton of brewers in this area...c'mon support your local craft maltster! The Codys at CMC are a great bunch of guys.

Count me in for four sacks (200 lb) of malt, probably one wheat, one rye, and two sacks of base pale. I've participated in two of these buys and love the quality. The CMC base pale makes standard two-row taste like cardboard in comparison.

I'll second that the Codys are great people. I recently spent a good hour on the phone with Jason for an upcoming article on malt. You won't find a more dedicated group of people. They sell directly to homebrewers because they want to: I think they probably lose money on us.

Count me in for four sacks (200 lb) of malt, probably one wheat, one rye, and two sacks of base pale. I've participated in two of these buys and love the quality. The CMC base pale makes standard two-row taste like cardboard in comparison.

I'll second that the Codys are great people. I recently spent a good hour on the phone with Jason for an upcoming article on malt. You won't find a more dedicated group of people. They sell directly to homebrewers because they want to: I think they probably lose money on us.

Thanks for the reply, we're getting closer. I'll look for the article, where will it it published?

Probably not in for this year's buy but in 6 months I will be ready. I just switched to all-grain and I am very interested in Colorado Malting

Probably not in for this year's buy but in 6 months I will be ready. I just switched to all-grain and I am very interested in Colorado Malting

Great, thanks for jumping in. There are only about 20/40 bags claimed currently, so maybe we can just keep building interest until you are ready. It might take 6mo to get enough people together.

Sounds like a plan. By then I'll hopefully know too what kind of grains I use very often. I'm guessing 2-row and something else.

Perhaps I will be ready next go round. A grain mill will be my next brewing investment but it might have to wait to be a Christmas gift.

Is this still a possibility? I've never bought in bulk before but would like to try it out. I just ordered a mill and motor so I'm definitely interested.

EDIT: Put me down for 100 lbs 2 row and 50 lbs base pale

Where would the pick up for this be?

I am in the springs....

T

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm also in Colorado Springs and would like to know the pickup location. I'd be in for 100lbs of 2 row at a min. I'm still unsure on what other grains I might want.

Jason:ban:

Thanks for the other responses. This is definitely still happening, just depends on interest really...or how quickly we can fill a pallet. It sounds like late summer/early fall would work best, so stay tuned for more updates.

The pickup would be in Fort Collins. Other people have coordinated group buys for the Denver-Springs areas. Feel free to get in on this if you don't mind driving up for it.

Still in the works? I'll be needing to re-up soon. I definitely prefer CMC and would be in for 3 or 4 bags if this happens in the next month or two. If it's after that, I might still be interested in 1 or 2.

Still in the works? I'll be needing to re-up soon. I definitely prefer CMC and would be in for 3 or 4 bags if this happens in the next month or two. If it's after that, I might still be interested in 1 or 2.

Still happening. I will post a google form with the sign up information tomorrow, so maybe by the end of Aug or early Sept?

The form is live

Please sign up as soon as you can. From what I have seen this round, it looks like we might be under the 40 bag cutoff, so get your friends in on this too.

I will keep this thread updated.

The link to the price list on the form isn't working - do you have another place I can go look at it?

Sorry about that. The attachment setup here doesn't like the dimensions of the pdf.

I updated the link. You can also PM me your email address if you'd like. Most of it appears on the form though.

I will be closing on my house tomorrow in the Denver area (104th and Tower) but I am in the Fort Collins area often. If it is OK with ColoHox I have no problem storing grain temporarily at my place if this will help out any people in the Denver/Colorado Springs area or help us get over the 40 bag mark.

I will be closing on my house tomorrow in the Denver area (104th and Tower) but I am in the Fort Collins area often. If it is OK with ColoHox I have no problem storing grain temporarily at my place if this will help out any people in the Denver/Colorado Springs area or help us get over the 40 bag mark.

Just to clarify are you offering to bring bags down from Fort Collins to your home in Denver for pickup in Denver? If so I'll be in for 1-2 bags as well.

On a related note, can anyone who's tried them both expand on the difference between their 2 Row and Base Pale malts?

Before I sign up, I'm trying to decide if it make sense to get both the 2 Row and the Base Pale malts. Would love to hear from anyone that's tried both on the differences/different applications for these two. Sorry for repeating, but I thought this question might have been lost in my last post. Thanks!

I've used both the pale ale and regular 2-row and I prefer the pale ale. I would say the pale ale malt is similar to Maris Otter in that it's got a bit of a nutty, earthy taste to it that you don't get with the regular 2-row. I just put in my order and went with 2 bags of pale, 1 bag of Belgian pale, and 1 bag of wheat. I'll be skipping the regular 2-row this time around.

I agree. The pale is great, with subtle and complex malty flavors. I got 2 bags of 2-row last round and it seemed to lack the flavors I was looking for. It is a great gravity booster for beers that have strong specialty malt flavors. I prefer the flavors of the pale.

Pale, pils, rye, and munich for me this round.

Back