Northern California trip suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
At the end of August beginning of September I am taking a trip to California for the first time. I will be flying into San Fran and Staying with a friend in Sacramento.
I am looking for Places to go and things to do? Obviously my friend will have some suggestions, but I want to hear what you all have to say?

I know I will visit Russian River and probably Heretic because I am a fan of Jamil's work on the Brewing Network.

What other suggestions do you guys/gals have??
Not Just beer, but also wine and sight seeing? My wife and I enjoy good wine and will probably hit a couple vineyards.

I have never been to California, so I was thinking of seeing San Fran, and possibly spending an "Outdoors day" either in the Redwoods or at Yosemite?

Thoughts?

first suggestion is that the beer scene is much bigger in the bay area opposed to sacto. If I had to choice a location to check out beer related places it would be sonoma county, you have Bear republic, russian river, lagunitas, moylans, 3rd st aleworks plus of course they are known for their wine too ;)

I like this site for checking out beer places too

http://beermapping.com

If you really want to see the Redwoods in all their majesty, head North on the 101. There is then an old section of highway (around Pepperwood I think) that takes you through the heart of the old growth forest that's protected and illegal to log.

As for brews and wine, follow what Humann suggested. If you get as far north as Eureka, I believe Lost Coast Brewing is located there along with a couple of others.

You could also contact either of these home brew clubs (if they're still around) and ask them:

ESB (East Sacramento Brewers)
Sacramento, CA 95819 USA
916 213-2041
[email protected]

Gold Country Brewers Association
PO Box 160854
Sacramento, CA 96816 USA
916-989-3840
[email protected]
www.goldcountrybrewers.org/

Whatever you do have a great trip and post pics when you return!

If you're into Pinot Noir stop in at Kastania Winery in Petaluma, just off 101. Really, really good wine. In San Fran check out Magnolia on Haight. Bear Republic was a bit of a let down for me, food wise, especially.

I have never been to California, so I was thinking of seeing San Fran, and possibly spending an "Outdoors day" either in the Redwoods or at Yosemite?

Thoughts?
If you can swing it, hit both the Redwoods and Yosemite. You won't regret it. If you have to pick one, go with Yosemite, but feel a little bad because you're missing the Redwoods, and they're awesome too.

For your San Francisco time, don't stumble around the Tenderloin drunk off your ass at closing time. It's all fun and games until you get chased by three homeless people with crowbars.

For your San Francisco time, don't stumble around the Tenderloin drunk off your ass at closing time. It's all fun and games until you get chased by three homeless people with crowbars.

Is this the voice of experience speaking? :D

While you're in Sacramento, Rubicon is worth a stop. In SF, 21st Amendment is a great brewpub near AT&T Park, but if you happen to be in town when the Giants are playing, the traffic in the area will be nuts and the parking absolutely nonexistent. I'll also throw another vote in for The Trappist and Beer Revolution in Oakland. Neither of them does much for food, but it's hard to beat the beer selection and vibe in both places.

One thing to warn is that the drive from the inner Bay Area (SF, Oakland, Berkeley, etc.) to Sacramento can be long and traffic-filled. As long as you're leaving the Bay fairly late in the day, it usually isn't too bad, but if it's at all close to commute hours, the drive can take forever.

Back