• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Northern Brewer

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TennBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone notice that since Northern Brewer reinstated their free shipping on orders over $59 that most of the prices have increased dramatically, some as much as 30%, many grains increased by 50 cents a pound. Outrageous.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
Right before I placed the order I just did, I was looking at 36 lb or LME for $79.99. Now that free shipping is available again, it's $99.99.
It's still cheaper to buy bulk, get free shipping and make sure I get things I need all in one big order. I have read that most online brew shops are doing this. Something to do with shipping companies changing. I get it. The extra cost falls on the consumer.
I just make sure I get everything I need in a big bundle so I know I don't spend $20 on shipping for no reason.

Brooothru

Reaction score
Right before I placed the order I just did, I was looking at 36 lb or LME for $79.99. Now that free shipping is available again, it's $99.99.
It's still cheaper to buy bulk, get free shipping and make sure I get things I need all in one big order. I have read that most online brew shops are doing this. Something to do with shipping companies changing. I get it. The extra cost falls on the consumer.
I just make sure I get everything I need in a big bundle so I know I don't spend $20 on shipping for no reason.
As of January, virtually all shippers increased their prices. The cost for heavier loads increased even more. I order wine kits online, often in excess of 40# each, and the price jump from "up to 49#" to "over 50#" is significant. On the bright side, Jeff Bezos is projected to become the world's first TRILLIONAIRE (no B.S.) by 2024. And then the current political class in D.C appears once again trying to bankrupt the U.S. Postal Service, causing shipping costs to increase even more. So there's that.

Brooo Brother

Reactions: dnr

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone notice that since Northern Brewer reinstated their free shipping on orders over $59 that most of the prices have increased dramatically, some as much as 30%, many grains increased by 50 cents a pound. Outrageous.
To be fair, when they took away the free shipping option however many weeks ago, they lowered their prices to reflect that. Looking back at an order that I placed in early March, all of the prices are the same then as they are now except the 55lb sack of 2row. Their regularly priced items always seemed to be slightly higher than most online stores, but the free shipping generally evened it out. It sucks that they raised it up to 59$, though.

jekeane

Reaction score
They are just letting you know there is never “free shipping”. It’s just a marketing tool.

NB and Midwest are the same company with the same products. NB has free shipping Midwest doesn’t. You can see how much free shipping costs by comparing those sites

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the shipping is definitely built into the prices. Oftentimes the shipping is the difference when I've priced out orders over multiple sites. One site I keep forgetting about until just after I submit an order is AIH. They're *relatively* close to my location and have pretty competitive prices

Reaction score

Chorgey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What I tend to do, is go to several sites and load up the cart with identical items. The one who ends up with the best overall price (shipped), gets my business. If it’s AIH, it’s an “added bonus” that I get reward points.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What I tend to do, is go to several sites and load up the cart with identical items. The one who ends up with the best overall price (shipped), gets my business. If it’s AIH, it’s an “added bonus” that I get reward points.
Same. More often than not, northern brewer was the lowest. Or it was close enough that I still chose them since I would often receive my order the next day. But things are different these days.

dnr

Up your IBU!
Reaction score
NB has after-pay available, also. That was helpful as someone who'd been temporarily laid off. If any other sites offer the ability to pay in smaller increments over a couple weeks, that would be nice to know. NB is good, but it's nice to shop around and spread the love. Little as it may be...

Gozie Boy

Reaction score
In my experience, I find that NB is seldom the lowest all-in cost supplier. AIH is often good, although this is of course dependent on what you're buying. Also, their rewards program is actually valuable, whereas a good % of other "rewards" programs (in all business) are useless. (e.g., I may spend 1-2 thousand dollars a year at Total Wine, and my "reward" is a paper wine bag -- WooHoo!! -- IF I redeem it quickly!). Also, sometimes you can get a meaningfully better deal by buying 10# grain bags vs. 55#, if you are getting socked for huge shipping costs for the 55#...

iamwhatiseem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Shipping has went up a LOT in the past 6 months, before the virus.
The heavier it is, the more it has gone up. I believe it has to do with super shippers like Amazon etc. They have contracts with shippers down to extremely thin margins. So UPS and FedEx raises the cost for everyone else to subsidize their losses to them.

Reaction score
Shipping has went up a LOT in the past 6 months, before the virus.
The heavier it is, the more it has gone up. I believe it has to do with super shippers like Amazon etc. They have contracts with shippers down to extremely thin margins. So UPS and FedEx raises the cost for everyone else to subsidize their losses to them.
That's an interesting theory, but with the number of packages Amazon ships, there is no way they could loose money on Amazon packages and offset them with profits from other customers. They may run thinner margins on Amazon, but I doubt that Northern Brewer is being penalized for Amazon's business.

Snuffy

Airlock Sniffer
Reaction score
In my experience, I find that NB is seldom the lowest all-in cost supplier. AIH is often good, although this is of course dependent on what you're buying.
I like AiH but the last kit I bought from them, I looked for the instruction sheet and could not find it. I found Austin Homebrew instructions, but nothing from AiH. Went online to download the AiH instructions - they were from AHS. Then I read the note about "In partnership with our friends at Austin Homebrew Supply". Kit was a 5-gal all-grain Lagunitas IPA clone. Same price on both sites. O...k.

CityOChampBrew

Reaction score
Funny you should bring up LME... I placed an order with Northern brewer in February for some of their golden LME 36 lbs to be exact for $79.99.
I was sent stale/oxidated LME, brewed 4 different batches from the stuff all with the same cardboard garbage taste.

At 1st I thought the 1st batch was a process issue on my part since I was away from the hobby for 5 years so I brewed a lower gravity wheat with DME from the local shop... perfect beer.. Back to Northern brewer malt... stale garbage dumper batch..

Brewed an all grain with local ingredients again, once again great beer. 10 gallon batch from the Northern brewer stuff, again garbage... drank the other 2 batches dumped these could not keep drinking stale beer.. Bought some LME from label peelers... 32 lb container for about $68 all fresh no issues again.

I leave a review on Northers brewers site... and they wipe it.

I used to love Norther Brewer, Brewing TV got me to be a loyal customer.......
No more.. I do not trust a company that will not provide fresh ingredients... and then wipes any bad reviews on their site.

bkboiler

Reaction score
I felt like the prices went up on all my main go-to brew stores: morebeer, NB, AIH...but then again I'm really cheap...and paranoid, so I always think that...