Northern brewer transfer pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412CiderGuy

Reaction score
I just used the transfer pump for the first time and noticed it infused ALOT of oxygen into the cider. The tube literally looks white after transferring through the pump. Anyone else have this problem? Do i have a broken pump or is this par for the course?

Never used that model, but are you sure it's oxygen and not CO2 getting knocked out of solution?

Aghhhh maybe that’s whats happening. I just assumed it was oxygen but I guess it might be co2.

Which pump did you get?
Agitation will degas your cider. If you naturally carbonate, you'll need to increase your amount of priming sugar.

A centrifugal pump works like a blender. Having gas in the centrifugal pump causes cavitation, reducing its pumping efficacy and probably shortening its lifespan.

Normally you'd want a diaphragm pump (or $$$ peristaltic pump) for cider/wine.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Pump some water through it. Does it bubble?
Is it self priming? You may have to keep the source above the destination container.
And make sure the hose connections are tight - especially the inlet. A bit of keg lube can help with that.

Last edited:
Back