Northern Brewer Smashing Pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJBanks

Reaction score
Okay, so I had a few friends over who do not brew and they wanted to help me brew a batch of this yesterday. Between the distraction of them and the beers we consumed, I forgot to add the spice packet at flame out and only realized it this morning. Would it be better to pull the airlock and add it now after making vodka tincture or just wait until the secondary? Or should I make a tincture with the spices and heat it up first? Does anyone think it will affect the flavor in a big way from adding it a flameout?

I've brewed this a few times, and for my pallet it was a solid "ok", but I didn't get much of the spice out of it. In your case I'd find a sanitary way to add it in secondary, and consider adding just a pinch (is that a unit of measure?) more of your favorite pumpkin spices at the same time.

Did you do the mini-mash with the 6-row and pumpkin (or squash)? I did that for the batches I've made and I think that I'll reduce the amount of that if I brew it again. It is a nifty thing to say you did when you serve it, but I don't think it adds much, not that I've made it without to compare. Also, for me there was no discernible difference between fresh pie pumpkin and canned pumpkin.

I roasted 60 oz of canned organic pumpkin at 350 for an hour and added it to the mash. Also, added 2 pounds of 6-row. I made it this way last year and added the spice packet along with an extra teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 teaspoon each of ginger and nutmeg and 1/3 teaspoon of ground clove. After kegging it, I let it sit for 45 days or so and it was really good. We pulled the first pint at a party we had and within an hour it was all gone.

Back