Northern Brewer Smashing Pumpkin Kit need help changing recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysbrew2012

Reaction score
So i have a smashing pumpkin kit and was gonna make this for a girlfriend of mine but we aren't talking right now so instead of wasting this, i thought why not remove the pumpkin spice and change the recipe a bit. I have no experience with Amber Ales. The recipe is below. I was looking at changing the hop profile....possibly adding a few measures of diff grain. Note: I cannot remove the grain as its pre-mixed from northern brewer...I can only add to it.

Any ideas would be fantastic!!! I have a **** load of hops used for IPA like chinook and galaxy....some honey malt and carapils laying around as well

Grain Bill:

7.5 lbs 2 Row
2.5 lbs German Munich Malt
.5 lbs Caramel 80
.25 lbs Caramel 60

Hops

1 oz of Cluster at 60

Yeast: American Ale or Safale 05

Base looks good to me, you could throw in a lb. of honey malt and an ounce of black patent or chocolate to darken it up a little. Use an oz. of Chinook at the 60min then as many hops as you want (like you would for your IPAs) starting at the 30 min mark. I just brewed one similar to that grain bill. Check out the recipe at the end of this article: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/india-red-ale-tim-linvingston-timbrewz.html

Back