Northern Brewer Skimping on Shipping?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigvaldi

Reaction score
So, I ordered from Northern Brewer, not being close enough to a shop to buy there, unfortunately. The items i purchased included: 9 lbs of dme, 1 lb lactose, 1 lb crystal malts, and a few other smaller items (a few oz hops, whirfloc tablets, etc). Keep in mind, in premeasured items, I am now over 11 lbs. I was surpriaed they offered the flat rate shipping, but they did, and the dates proposed (1/16-1/18) were acceptable to me, so I selected it.

In two days they sent me notice that the package had shipped. Great turnaround! From others' posts, I thought for sure I'd be waiting a couple weeks for the flat rate shipping. However, in checking the tracking number, I noticed that the package weight was 8.8 lbs

So... should I be worried? Does anyone know if NB skimps on ingredients or lies to UPS to get a better rate? I'm definitely going to weigh everything when it arrives. But I hope to get your experience as well so I know how much I have to worry.

All of those items would qualify for flat rate shipping. I have found that the size of the package, within limits, is priced at a certain weight. I had sent a 4.5 pound package by UPS. The cost of shipping was based on a weight of 5 pounds because of package size.

Probably one of the reasons NB can offer the flat rate shipping by getting discounts on package size and not priced strictly by weight.

First of all there's not much you can do about it.

Then there's weight and there's weight. It depends how closely they estimate, record, or calculate actual item weight and shipping weights.

If you order one spoon the packaging it is sent in also adds to the weight. If you order 10 spoons, the packaging is the same, now spread out over 10 spoons.

So by ordering multiple items, the actual shipped weight can be less than estimated through their inventory calculator.

Then there's an alternate calculation based on package dimensions. Shipping a huge box with 5 pounds of uncompressed rice hulls, or a light weight item that's very long (racking cane) or really odd shaped that needs tons of (air bag) padding cost more than a small box containing 5 pounds of SS fittings.

The higher shipping price of the 2 is passed on.

Trust me, UPS doesn't short itself and NB isn't cheating. But they do have volume contracts, and get a much better rate than you and I can even imagine.

BTW, can you keep us posted on receiving your order complete and the actual package weight?

Last edited:
Well, you guys have all calmed me significantly. The idea that they probably ship by package size definitely makes sense. When the package comes, I will still be weighing my products, but i no longer fear that I eont be able to brew next week.

Package is scheduled to arriveon Tuesday 1/17. When it gets here, I'll weigh it and goce an update.

At best someone can't do math when they created the shipping label. Working for a company that does an amazing amount of shipping we get these great rates too. What happens when creating the label is the operator can enter a weight or dimensions and it spits out a label with a charge to the account. When the weight is estimated and turns out to be wrong, UPS will adjust the charge on the next billing cycle. The weight you see is simply what the operator entered when creating the shipping label.

Schrodingers box of malt arrived today. I weighed all contents and found I was not shorted at all. So, NB is likely charged by size or weight is backcharged as was suggested here as well. Thanks everyone for calming me down. Now, to test my new brew!

Schrodingers box of malt arrived today. I weighed all contents and found I was not shorted at all. So, NB is likely charged by size or weight is backcharged as was suggested here as well. Thanks everyone for calming me down. Now, to test my new brew!

To get to the point, was the actual weight of the box with goodies the same as declared on the shipping label? That was the real issue, right?

To get to the point, was the actual weight of the box with goodies the same as declared on the shipping label? That was the real issue, right?

It was not the same weight. In pre-weighed items alone I had more than 11 lbs. Declared weight was 8.8 lbs. I am not sure what the total package weight was. I did not weight ot as a whole. But i measured all the pre-weighed items and found them to be the right weight.

My fear was that they shipped the wrong items, such as shipping 1lb of malt for each of my 3 lb bags. But it was all good. If theres any inconsistencies, thats between them and UPS now

I was curious about the weight of the (closed) box matching the declared weight on the label. I wouldn't run a business not having that match.

Glad you got all your goodies though! :ban:

Back