Northern Brewer Replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adventures In Homebrewing has been my go to LHBS ever since Michigan Brewing Company's Things Beer homebrew shop went belly up along with the rest of the business, and I got sick of the yuppie wine and cheese snob looking down their nose at you sort of attitude from Cork N Cap over in Jackson Michigan.

My LHBS is great fermentations. I saw them mentioned once earlier but they are a great mom and pop shop. I stopped in today and it's been months since I was last there but was greeted by name as I walked in the door.

I have bought everything except my equipment from them because I am the diy type. I will continue to go there bc I like what they offer and I think it is a fair price.

You might be talking about Stubby's Texas Brewing Inc. Not sure. I shop there in person (so I've never ordered online) but they have just about everything you could want. Extremely knowledgeable as well.

https://www.txbrewing.com/

Yep. With Stubby and Foreman's, I haven't had to order much online. There's also Dr. Jeckyll's and Homebrew Headquarters. Austin Homebrew supply has done me right.

There's also this "Homebrew Supply" in San Antonio. They have a website and stuff. I dunno. Guy's been involved in the homebrew scene for a while. Runs a forum or something. https://www.homebrewsupply.com

I sighed and then purchased the backup items from NB today.
In the futrure I will cross the country and order from Seven Bridges if they have everything that B&V doesn't, yeast transport be damned, and only look at NB/MW if Seven Bridges is lacking. I do not want to buy from three stores for one brew.

All y'all HBS wanting to take away some of InBev's business: I challenge all y'all to stock Briess Organic Light LME.

Wow, I got a lot more information than expected! I've already checked a few of these places out. Thanks for all the great resources and for the great participation! Good luck out there!

Figured i'd say something just to refference all the bookmarks.
But also wanted to contribute.
www.biyhomebrewsupply.com
Run by Joe & his wife.
Joe has "The basics of homebrewing" Youtube series/channel
and is located in Iowa.
His videos are what got me into homebrewing.
Also
https://shop.anuwayhydro.com
Anuway Hydro & Brew
Another shop run by a couple "Jesse & Trinity"
This is my LHBS & while they don't claim to get a lot of online business, i'm sure they would be glad to get it.

Do you even know who owns any of these shops on the Internets or your local? The whole NB thing is out there because it was announced, but the ownership status of any other shop/purveyor is completely unknown, including those most people will switch to. So what are you avoiding and where are you going?

Am I the only one who finds this odd?

Do you even know who owns any of these shops on the Internets or your local??

Yes. I named them.
I've spoken to both Joe and his wife over the phone several times.
Jesse & Trinity are two of the founding members of The Ozark Zymugists
(the local homebrew club in NWA/Benton county Arkansas) and we have shared plenty a brew together.
I can't speak for anyone else though.
The forum sponsors that are vendors have allways done good business in my book as well.

Do you even know who owns any of these shops on the Internets or your local? The whole NB thing is out there because it was announced, but the ownership status of any other shop/purveyor is completely unknown, including those most people will switch to. So what are you avoiding and where are you going?

Most of the smaller shops are small. Even Label Peelers that others have mentioned is small (the smallest of the local shops). But your point is true.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to get 50lb bags of 2 row? Specifically Maris otter... I'm not specifically boycotting norther brewer now, but I'd like to keep my business away from inbev as much as possible.

I know someone recommended a site here, however this thread has grown quite a bit since I last looked. Thanks

Publicly held companies must report all business holdings.

It's the law.

So, not knowing the names of the people owning these compaies proves one thing.

They are privately held (Accurate phrase for "Mom and Pop).

Ergo, Neither AB InBev (publicly traded company), any of its subsidiaries, nor any of the other massive beer conglomerates owns any of these companies.

It's the law.

So, not knowing the names of the people owning these compaies proves one thing.

They are privately held (Accurate phrase for "Mom and Pop).

Ergo, Neither AB InBev (publicly traded company), any of its subsidiaries, nor any of the other massive beer conglomerates owns any of these companies.

Or not knowing the name of the owner means you didn't ask. I don't know who owns Coca Cola for instance.

Or not knowing the name of the owner means you didn't ask. I don't know who owns Coca Cola for instance.

Coca Cola is a publicly traded company, so literally thousands of people "own" it as literally thousands of people hold shares of Coca Cola common stock.

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=6550

If you go through the PUBLIC filings, you will find that the Coca Cola Corporation literally owns dozens of other companies, including Coca Cola Bottling.

Everything about publicly traded companies must be reported.

It's.
The.
Law.

Coca Cola is a publicly traded company, so literally thousands of people "own" it as literally thousands of people hold shares of Coca Cola common stock.

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=6550

If you go through the PUBLIC filings, you will find that the Coca Cola Corporation literally owns dozens of other companies, including Coca Cola Bottling.

Everything about publicly traded companies must be reported.

It's.

The.

Law.

Indeed. But I didn't look to see who owns it. You said not knowing only "means one thing:" that their privately held. It can also mean that I didn't check to see who owns it. (Coca Cola wasn't really fair because I know its publicly traded.)

You're talking about being able to know. I'm talking about the logic of your statement at face value.

It.
Was.
Supposed.
To.
Be.
Funny.

Yes. Americans complain about big business screwing the small guy. If AB-InBev isn't the poster-child for big business in the Beer industry, I don't know who is. It's time for American consumers to put up of shut up about the evils of corporate greed and "disruptive", some may say dishonest, business practices.

Unlikely.

Whats gonna work???????????Team work.........................

Oh man it's killing me.:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

Your right though.

Indeed. But I didn't look to see who owns it. You said not knowing only "means one thing:" that their privately held. It can also mean that I didn't check to see who owns it. (Coca Cola wasn't really fair because I know its publicly traded.)

You're talking about being able to know. I'm talking about the logic of your statement at face value.

It.
Was.
Supposed.
To.
Be.
Funny.

I cannot be held accountable for your failure to avail yourself of public knowledge.

morebeer is great , having two warehouses is awesome. especially the one in pa considering i am in ma. you should find another source seeing as nb sold out to a disruptive growth firm ran by INBEV. its sad , they were good companies...

morebeer is great , having two warehouses is awesome. especially the one in pa considering i am in ma. you should find another source seeing as nb sold out to a disruptive growth firm ran by INBEV. its sad , they were good companies...

Yeah, I think Morebeer is going to take the crown as primary internet homebrew source.

Safe to sayou, we know who their disruptive marketing strategy will target...
I'd also like to say I will still order from Northern brewer. I still order from Morebeer. I still buy from my LHBS.

I like morebeer because I get everything next day for cheap since I'm in Ohio and it ships from their PA warehouse. Northern brewer takes longer but I like the fast pitch and some of their recipes. And I shop equally as much at my LHBS for recipes I come up with on my own, cleaning products, and all of my yeast.

It's the law.

What law is that?

What SEC form requires them to report business holdings?

I have clients who have org charts 5 pages long printed on 11x17 with arrows going every direction. It's insane... and yes they are public and NO an outsider could not figure out all of their business holdings without insider information.

I don't do business with any company whose business practices I disagree with.

I don't do business with Walmart and Home Depot, too.

What's wrong with Home Depot?!?!?

You should read the book "Built from Scratch" and you might change your mind about HD.

They treat their employees really well. What other employer has tuition assistance for part-time employees?

I don't do business with any company whose business practices I disagree with.

I don't do business with Walmart and Home Depot, too.

I'm curious to know how you determine who you will or won't do business with. Because it sounds like there is a lot of resentment towards big businesses, but sometimes they do the right things, too.

I'm not talking about you in particular, but you see the trend in this thread - NB is now dark side because they are owned by AB/InBev. Walmart is bad. HD is bad.

Meanwhile, smaller businesses are good. Usually what qualifies as "good" (on this thread) is, in random order:

1) good customer service
2) lower prices than competitors, even if it's higher than NB, etc.
3) cheap shipping
4) not owned by InBev

I think fair treatment of employees, good environmental practices, and (as much as possible) delivering American-made options are also part of what makes a business "good." That can be in a big or small company.

have problems with business practices of any business.[/QUOTE]

I do business with lots of companies. My list of companies I refuse to do business with is actually qyite small.

What's wrong with Home Depot?!?!?

You should read the book "Built from Scratch" and you might change your mind about HD.

They treat their employees really well. What other employer has tuition assistance for part-time employees?

Politics, mostly. I do not spend money with an organization with a CEO who is so far out there and who consistently uses the company to promote his personal political leanings. That's bad business.

We're all in this together....just because Inbev bought NB doesn't mean that Americans aren't still employed by NB. As long as their product, prices and service remain reasonable I'll continue buying their products.

However, the above becomes moot if NB moves their entity overseas. JMHO

Back