Quantcast

Northern Brewer Kits

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

RLinNH

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you have ordered and brewed a northern Brewer AG Kit, let me know what you thought. I am looking into several of these kits, but I want to check them ut with my Home Brewing Brethern before I take the plunge. The first one I want to try is the Scottish Ale. Not the Wee heavy, sounds like the Alcohol would over power the beer.

Beerrific

Reaction score
Their crush is pretty sad. I have bought from them, B3, and AHS and theirs is by far the worst. I did not get a kit so I am not sure if they take this into account.

It also seems that they might send you something different than what they say they are including without notifying you.

Otherwise, I think their products are very fresh and I received very fast turnaround. I have also heard their kits are pretty good, but never used one.

old_townie

Reaction score
there were some rumblings in the recipes/ingredients forum a few days ago about hop substitutions that didn't match up with general hop substitution knowledge.... on the other hand, i've brewed 3 austin home brew all grain kits and have been very, very satisfied.

Rockybottom

Reaction score
Have have used several of their kits, all have come with the prescribed ingredients. I have also e-mailed them about putting together a "custom" kit which they have been very helpful with. I have bought kits from AHS, Midwest, and NB. I also know if you do business with NB they will take are of you in the hops department.
I have not had any problem with their crush. I now buy all my grain uncrushed though.
I prefer using them at this point, but I know AHS is on this forum.

OP
RLinNH

RLinNH

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. The Crush isn't important as I have my own Mill. Looking forward to trying the Scottish Ale Kit.:ban:

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
Had great results with all the kits I have bought from Northern. I especially like the kits with the steeping grains that come precrushed. I have also had good results with kits from AHS and Listermann's.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I have had great luck with the kits from NB, their crush was always fine for me. I used to get 80-85% with their crush & my cooler tun.
I have gotten away from kits but would have no problem going back to them. Great service here as well. I bet I have ordered 20 times from them, never a mistake and never any delays.

JoePolvino

Reaction score
I bought probably a dozen AG kits from them, and most were very good. I didn't care for their cream ale. The irish red was the best.

RedVR6

Reaction score
Good thread. I was thinking of throwing one of their kits into an order I am placing there soon...so I can get my feet wet again. I typically order my ingredients from Alt. Bev./Homebrew.com.

beergorila

Reaction score
Have to say their service has been top-notch for me. I am gonna try the first kit I ordered this Monday (EPA brewed 1/12, bottled 2/2), but have 2 more kits in the fermentors (irish dry stout bottling tomorrow, honey Kolsch moving to 2ndary) so the tasting has yet to be determined on all 3...

shoebag22

Reaction score
does northern brewer pack their wyeast with an ice pack? I don't see an option to add and maybe they include that with the kit...

Money Pit Home Brew

Reaction score
Yep...If you click the Beer Ingredients link on the left (before you click the Ale Kits, High Gravity kits, etc.) They charge $.75 for each ice pack.

By the way, I've brewed a few of their kits and they all have turned out great.

Tonedef131

Reaction score
I ordered their Irish Red and had horrible efficency with it. I am not sure if it was the crush or something that I did, but my temps were right on so I would like to blame the crush. Either way I don't think it was that great of a recipe. I did order some more grains from them though and will brew them up next week, so we will see.