Northern Brewer Extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
NB Extracts in my experience are pretty good. But when you read their descriptions they seem to be a combination of base malts and specialty grains. For example one of their extracts has some munich and carapils along with base. My question is, do other commercial extracts like alexander do the same thing? Or are they only base malts? If this is unique to NB does that mean I should cut out the grains that added in the malt already?

Most extracts (except for the [extra] pale) are a combination of grains. The combination is what gives them their color and flavor.

I'm 99% certain that Northern Brewer's extract is from Briess. On Briess' website they list all their extracts and what grains are in them. You should be able to find the same information for other brands of extract.

the lightest malt extract they make is their pilsen which is from a breiss malt. Anything darker than golden is a blend, this is the case with the stuff from the cans and the dry stuff in the pouches as well.

Some basemalts do add some color and flavor whether or not they are mashed, but addin some base grains evidently helps in steeping as well.... I asked Forrest of AHS about it in his kits, on another thread...here is what he said.

Austinhomebrew said:
We added 2-row to all of our kits. 2-row has enzymes that (in theory) help "convert" more sugars and flavor out of the specialty grains. It is a good idea to add a little to every recipe. If you read about 2-row and mashing. it has nothing to do with getting the sugars out of the 1/2 pound of 2 row added. We add it for the enzymes and not the sugar. If you were trying to convert the sugars of the 2-row then you would need to steep it longer. If you follow the instructions you will be ok.

Forrest

Back