Northern Brewer Extract Kits - Steeping Grains Included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavyfoot

Reaction score
I've been checking out some of Northern Brewer's extract and grain kits on their website and noticed that they often include grains that, according to Palmer, are not suitable for the 20 minute steep that is specified in the instructions.

As examples, some kits include biscuit malts, others flaked oats.

Would it cause problems to just steep these grains for 20 mins prior to the boil as instructed?

All Northern Brewer kits are put together and test brewed to see if the beer meets Northern Brewers standards, I my self follow the instructions and have never been dissapointed.

While you don't have to steep grains while making an extract beer, it's always recommended you do so for the quality and added taste of the beer.
Use them and enjoy!

Steeping those grains will still extract color and flavor. Steeping them without a base malt will not convert their starch to sugar as mashing would. So it's not that they're not suitable, it's that you're not getting everything you could out of them.

I've seen many prepackaged kits that include "must be mashed" grain, from many stores.

Although I've never made one of NB's kits in the strictest sense, I've made beer from their recipes - including some that had "must be mashed" grain - and they came out well. A couple of friends of mine has made many NB kits and their beer is always good. I've ordered ingredients and supplies from NB many times and have been very happy with their quality and service. So that's 3 more endorsements right there.

Steeping those grains will still extract color and flavor. Steeping them without a base malt will not convert their starch to sugar as mashing would. So it's not that they're not suitable, it's that you're not getting everything you could out of them.

I've seen many prepackaged kits that include "must be mashed" grain, from many stores.

Although I've never made one of NB's kits in the strictest sense, I've made beer from their recipes - including some that had "must be mashed" grain - and they came out well. A couple of friends of mine has made many NB kits and their beer is always good. I've ordered ingredients and supplies from NB many times and have been very happy with their quality and service. So that's 3 more endorsements right there.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I guess I was wondering if unconverted starches could cause flavor problems. Does the unconverted starch stay in the wort or does it stay with the grain in the grain bag?

all my kits have been N BRewer, my favorite is their american amber (with steeping grains) followed the instructions and it tasted great. With steeping you are not mashing, this something that many people for get. With steeping you are getting some color and additonal flavor that help with extracts (primarily because Liquid extracts only come in 5 varieties per supplier) the steeping grains help add a different taste and color profile.

Reason why you can steep the "need to be mashed grains" in an extract brew is since all you want from them is flavor and color. Remember that almost all, i think i heard somewhere >95%, of the fermentable sugars will come from the extracts. Because of this the little bit of start you may gain will not affect anything really, at-least in the fermentation, and from what i've seen come out as hot break, at-least thats what i'm assuming.

I have made two of the NB kits in the last two days and have used them before, very happy with the results, makes a great economical and drinkable beer!!!! Have one more of their kits left to make and then its on to full time AG brewing....working on building my eHERMS now!!!!

Both Northern Brewer and Midwest offer kits with some "steeping" grains for added flavor and color. I've used kits from both, and thoroughly enjoyed a.)making the beer, and b.) drinking the beer. I have also done a few partial mash kits, and those have also been very successful.

glenn514:mug:

Back