Northern Brewer Extract Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilb

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a NB Nukey Brown Ale kit. I've heard good things about them. Here are the ingredients:

* 0.25 lbs. Simpsons Dark Crystal
* 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt
* 0.25 lbs. Weyermann CaraRed

* 6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup
* 1 lb. Golden Light Dry Malt Extract

* 1 oz. Argentina Cascade (60 min)

My only concern in that is the Argentina Cascades. From what I've seen these only have an AA of 3%. If this is right this beer would appear to have quite a low IBU. Even with late addition I'm looking at an IBU of around 10 according to BeerSmith.

Am I wrong about the Argentina Cascade or should I add another oz of it perhaps?

Thanks guys!

It's not a hoppy style, but if your calculation is correct, you could double it I think (though I'll defer to more experienced brewers). Or maybe add a different variety. Google for other Nut Brown recipes and see what they use. I think you have a decent amount of flexibility here.

BTW: I do think you are right about Argentinians, which seem to be used more for finishing.

Am I wrong about the Argentina Cascade or should I add another oz of it perhaps?

Your not wrong. Typical alpha % for Argentina Cascade hops is 2-4%. If you looking for an English style brown then leave it alone. If your looking for an American style brown then more hops would be necessary, but then if so you shouldn't have bought that kit. ;)

You could do a 5g boil, and use .75 oz (60 min) and .25 oz (5 min) to get a little more hop flavor out of your recipe, I would still go the late extract route if you want to get more out of your hops.

But I agree with Hooter, thats an English Brown so its right. I curious about those Hops I wanted to place an order from them and make an ale with them to see how they would turn out.

Back