Northern Brewer - Dry Dock Urca Vanilla Porter Pro Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the all grain kit and fermented at 65 and it tastes too vanilla for me right now. I think another week in a keg might let the flavors blend better. I would add a tad more roastiness next time to balance the vanilla. I'll update in a week or so if I remember. Also, I have never had Dry Dock's so I can't tell you how close it is.

If yours tastes way too vanilla-ish, then it's probably really close. I had the DD porter once, and could barely drink it (most went down the drain). The vanilla was over the top for me. It was almost like drinking perfume. I like vanilla, too. I usually double up on the beans when I'm making vanilla ice cream.

The recipe calls for five beans per five gallons. We will see if it mellows a bit.

I have it in bottles now, and I went the partial mash route. I found it quite hoppy a week ago, but yesterday when I bottled it I thought it was great. I did not place all five beans in secondary; I soaked them in a bit of vodka and added half the vodka a week ago. We tasted it yesterday and it did not need any additional vanilla flavor...I think it is going to be a winner!

I currently have this fermenting away and am debating about how to do the vanilla beans:

1) Cut up and throw in secondary (as per recipe)
2) Soak in vodka 24hr, add all a week before bottling
3) Soak in vodka 24hr, add half a week before bottling
4) Option 2 or 3 but with bourbon

I've had the commercial version and thought it was fantastic

I typically add 2 beans, split and scraped, soaked in an ounce or so of vodka for about 30 mins, then add the vodka, beans, and all to secondary. Let stand for a week, and keg or bottle. Guess the actual amount of beans could vary, depending on both the original malt bill, and the vanilla presence you want in the final product.

First, sorry for reviving a year old thread, but a friend had this on tap this weekend, from the NB kit, and it was awesome so I want to make it for myself now.

From what I've read the NB kit comes with 5 beans, 3 of one type and 2 of another. One type is Tahitian and the other is Madagascar, does anybody know how many of each? Also, does anybody know if the Tahitian and from Tahiti or from Pap New Guinea(PNG)? Apparently the ones from PNG are smaller and have a tobacco like character rather than the cherry-chocolate/licorice character that beans from Tahiti have.

First, sorry for reviving a year old thread, but a friend had this on tap this weekend, from the NB kit, and it was awesome so I want to make it for myself now.

From what I've read the NB kit comes with 5 beans, 3 of one type and 2 of another. One type is Tahitian and the other is Madagascar, does anybody know how many of each? Also, does anybody know if the Tahitian and from Tahiti or from Pap New Guinea(PNG)? Apparently the ones from PNG are smaller and have a tobacco like character rather than the cherry-chocolate/licorice character that beans from Tahiti have.

What did Northern Brewer tell you when you asked them?

You DID ask them, right?

I haven't. I try to find the info myself first, so they don't have to reiterate it 500 times if someone else has asked and posted it on a forum. This is a pretty specific question so it may warrant going to them, thanks for the thought.

I got a reply from NB and they said that both Dry Dock and their kit now only contain Madagascar beans because of quality issues they were having with the Tahitian beans.

Brewed this yesterday. OG was a tad high at 1.064 but shouldn't be noticeable. My mash temps got away on me so hopefully FG won't be high. I'm used to brewing in the morning when its cooler out and did this one in the afternoon when it was about 70 with around 96% humidity. So, temp was at 158 for the first 10 min or so then I got it down to 156. Since most conversion takes place in the first 10-15 min I may have more unfermentables, just have to wait and see now.

Back