Northern Brewer Apricot blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G2sat2576

Reaction score
I just finished carbonating this beer in a keg for 10 days at 8 psi. It's still not the carbonation I want. It has a foam head but it's not what I was expecting. Can anyone recommend a
Psi and schedule going forward to get more carbonation in this beer?

You need to know what CO2 level you want (in "volumes" of CO2) and the temperature of the beer. With those two things, you can consult any of the dozens of charts or calculators that will tell you what PSI to use.

Some people (like me) carbonate "to style." Others carbonate everything to a single level... 2.5 Volumes for example.

Let's say you want 2.5 volumes of CO2 and your beer is at 40F. Per the calculators, you'd need to carbonate at 12.3 PSI. At 40F, the 8 PSI you mentioned would only result in about 2.1 volumes of CO2, which you may find to be undercarbonated for most styles. (Also, 10 days might not be enough time to reach equilibrium.)

Back