New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I like Verdant for quite a few reasons, I do have trouble getting it to finish out high. The stuff seems too potent for its own good sometimes. Even when mashing around 158°F it often finishes around 1.011-1.012 for me.

The convenience and reliability, along with the other characteristics, are great though. It’s annoying.
I’ve used it a few times now and it just doesn’t do it for me. Every time I’ve used it I felt like the hops were subdued and didn’t come across bright. Especially with it not popping with the hand selected citra and Motueka cgx I got from an industry friend. All closed transfers/coldside process went well, so I’m quite positive o2 has no impact here.

Anything you’re doing with verdant to get your hops to pop?

All this said, I feel like after 7 years of brewing the style monthly I might just be burnt out. Have been enjoying drinking my lagers far more lol
IMG_2422.jpeg

Hell yes lol.

I’m gonna give dry London Fog another whirl soon, after I burn through my small supply of Verdant, then maybe look into AAII as stated above. Sounds interesting.

Next weeks batch is going to be a NZ Pils style beer, but single hop Syrian Wolf. Curious to see how that goes.

I’ve used it a few times now and it just doesn’t do it for me. Every time I’ve used it I felt like the hops were subdued and didn’t come across bright. Especially with it not popping with the hand selected citra and Motueka cgx I got from an industry friend. All closed transfers/coldside process went well, so I’m quite positive o2 has no impact here.

Is there another dry yeast that you would recommend? Liquid is not an option for me, so I've mostly been rocking Verdant. I tried the dry London Fog and didn't notice any big difference.

And, I agree...that lagers are calling to me as well!

Is there another dry yeast that you would recommend? Liquid is not an option for me, so I've mostly been rocking Verdant. I tried the dry London Fog and didn't notice any big difference.

And, I agree...that lagers are calling to me as well!

I’ve had good success with dry White Labs London Fog. It’s just kind of relatively expensive. But if it’s not too different for you, then give that a pass.

The ubiquitous and polarizing S04? I’ve worked with a very well known NY NEIPA factory that fresh pitched S04 in every batch.

Latest hazy double ipa at 8.4%

Grain:
70% - proximity 2row
20% - flaked oats
10% - white wheat

Yeast:
Verdant

Hops:
Citra
Simcoe
Motueka CGX

The beers not bad but it’s quite muted. I really think verdant sucks so I’ll probably never use it again. Very ester forward on the character and thinner body (still fine but I’m hyper critical about mouthfeel/body) and really competes with the hops and takes away from the brightness.View attachment 850913
That's been my luck with Verdant as well. Seems like a lot of brewers like it, but I'm just not a fan. Looks good though!!!

I’ve had good success with dry White Labs London Fog. It’s just kind of relatively expensive. But if it’s not too different for you, then give that a pass.

The ubiquitous and polarizing S04? I’ve worked with a very well known NY NEIPA factory that fresh pitched S04 in every batch.
London Fog is great, but if you can, try WL Coastal Haze. It's the only yeast I use for my NEIPA/Hazies. I've heard it's a blend of Conan and LAIII, but nothing is confirmed. It's a beast. You can mash higher to get a higher FG, but I actually prefer my hazies a touch on the dry side. I'm getting around 1.015 FG with a 146/158 step mash or 152 single infusion.

Grain:
70% - proximity 2row
20% - flaked oats
10% - white wheat

Yeast:
Verdant

Hops:
Citra
Simcoe
Motueka CGX

The beers not bad but it’s quite muted. I really think verdant sucks so I’ll probably never use it again. Very ester forward on the character and thinner body (still fine but I’m hyper critical about mouthfeel/body) and really competes with the hops and takes away from the brightness.View attachment 850913
I would have to agree. Verdant drys the **** out of niepas. It does suck. Cheers.

While I like Verdant for quite a few reasons, I do have trouble getting it to finish out high. The stuff seems too potent for its own good sometimes. Even when mashing around 158°F it often finishes around 1.011-1.012 for me.

The convenience and reliability, along with the other characteristics, are great though. It’s annoying.
Interesting about Verdant. I've used it a couple times, but not in a neipa. I wonder if the use of maltodextrin, in conjunction with a high percentage of flaked grains, would help to keep a hazy ipa from finishing too dry.

I’m personally not a fan of maltodextrin in ipas
What is it that you don’t like about it? Maltodextrin is in every beer. it’s the unfermentable sugar extracted from the grains.

I personally don’t notice anything off about beers with malto unless they aren’t balanced then they just are too sweet

I have enjoyed my beers made with Verdant, but...

I saw some other comment on good results using the Cellar Science Hazy strain. I have never used that and I am not sure the origin.

Also, while I don't think Voss makes a real "NEIPA" beer, I have really enjoyed some Hazy Pale Ales and Hazy IPAs made with Voss.

I am mostly a dry yeast brewer, but I just picked up a pack of Imperial Juice and Imperial Loki to put to use in batches soon.

What is it that you don’t like about it? Maltodextrin is in every beer. it’s the unfermentable sugar extracted from the grains.

I personally don’t notice anything off about beers with malto unless they aren’t balanced then they just are too sweet
Excessively sweet.

I've always used a 2:1 mix of NE and Verdant from lalbrew in my Hazies. Can't even tell you why honestly (likely answer is I read it in this thread somewhere). For my last several I have also been adding malto since I was always blowing by my FG target. Since then I've been damn happy with my hazies. I keep thinking I should experiment with yeast at some point, but love the results so mainly just try different hop combos.

I take that back - just remembered I did one with Cellar Science hazy and wasn't very happy with that one. Gave me less desire to experiment with yeast.

Excessively sweet.
That makes sense.

Never heard it directly from anyone actively working at fidens, but was told by someone who left there that said they use quite a bit in there IPAs for body. The guy is def a trustworthy person. If that’s the case I think they prove as long as you balance it with ibus it can work out well

That said I rarely put any malto in my IPAs, i struggle to find the sweet spot. My imperial stouts, all day everyday. Especially if I am barrelaging. I want it 1.040+ going in to keep the body and protect against any addition tannins from the barrel

Grain:
70% - proximity 2row
20% - flaked oats
10% - white wheat

Yeast:
Verdant

Hops:
Citra
Simcoe
Motueka CGX

What is your ferment schedule pitch rate look like?
I don't know why but I cant seem to get Verdant to attenuate past 70%. I mash low and long, no adjuncts, high pitch low pitch, high ferment temp tried everything but my DIPA's almost always finish around 1.019

That makes sense.

Never heard it directly from anyone actively working at fidens, but was told by someone who left there that said they use quite a bit in there IPAs for body. The guy is def a trustworthy person. If that’s the case I think they prove as long as you balance it with ibus it can work out well

That said I rarely put any malto in my IPAs, i struggle to find the sweet spot. My imperial stouts, all day everyday. Especially if I am barrelaging. I want it 1.040+ going in to keep the body and protect against any addition tannins from the barrel
Fidens and maltodextrin that would be opposite of what they claim to want to finish at, from memory 1.016, has anyone ever degassed some fiden's DIPA's?
Had Eugene's Axe a while back it was phenomenal, probably best citra/galaxy I had in a long while.

Fidens and maltodextrin that would be opposite of what they claim to want to finish at, from memory 1.016, has anyone ever degassed some fiden's DIPA's?
Had Eugene's Axe a while back it was phenomenal, probably best citra/galaxy I had in a long while.
Anything I’ve ever degassed is 1.024-1.026

Can I ask how you get a thick haze from S-04? I can’t get a thick haze with it to save my life. I have no problem with yeasts like LAIII.

What is your ferment schedule pitch rate look like?
I don't know why but I cant seem to get Verdant to attenuate past 70%. I mash low and long, no adjuncts, high pitch low pitch, high ferment temp tried everything but my DIPA's almost always finish around 1.019
I would say you’re in the minority. Verdant has don’t 80-82 the few times I used it. 1.016ish.

I would say you’re in the minority. Verdant has don’t 80-82 the few times I used it. 1.016ish.
I can only get my IPA's there with some luck. Guess it's very sensitive to mash temperature even though for me mashing low and long didn't make any difference, I would say if it finishes to low for you just up the mash and or shorten it.

I can only get my IPA's there with some luck. Guess it's very sensitive to mash temperature even though for me mashing low and long didn't make any difference, I would say if it finishes to low for you just up the mash and or shorten it.
I mashed at 158 lol. Def just not my yeast of preference. I got my hands on 9 oz of freestyle peacherine so when I use that next beer I’m going back to laIII and my base recipe with a touch of honey malt

I mashed at 158 lol. Def just not my yeast of preference. I got my hands on 9 oz of freestyle peacherine so when I use that next beer I’m going back to laIII and my base recipe with a touch of honey malt
That's crazy, I even added up to 20% sugar without any gravity drop, im really puzzled wth is going on

Also, while it is new and not available in homebrew sized packs yet, the Lallemand + Escarpment Labs produced Pomona looks interesting. The text says "enhances biotransformation and haze for modern IPA styles" (where I think "modern" still means Hazies). I would not be surprised if it costs a couple dollars more than Verdant (but maybe still less than dry London Fog). When somebody asked on the Instagram announcement, they said homebrew packs would be out in a month or two.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/global/products/lalbrew-pomona/

Can I ask how you get a thick haze from S-04? I can’t get a thick haze with it to save my life. I have no problem with yeasts like LAIII.
I honestly have never used it personally, and I didn't handle cold-side on the collabs we've done, so I can't comment :(

London Fog is great, but if you can, try WL Coastal Haze. It's the only yeast I use for my NEIPA/Hazies. I've heard it's a blend of Conan and LAIII, but nothing is confirmed. It's a beast. You can mash higher to get a higher FG, but I actually prefer my hazies a touch on the dry side. I'm getting around 1.015 FG with a 146/158 step mash or 152 single infusion.
Interesting. This looks like Sacc Trois to me by the description. Never messed with it, as I'm too paranoid with diastaticus lol.

That makes sense.

I had a very candid conversation with Steve back at the brujos grand opening and I brought up maltodextrin and he “swore on his kids that he had never used it.” I get more of a yeast driven initial flavor profile in most of fidens beers. Maltodextrin in stouts definetly.

Interesting. This looks like Sacc Trois to me by the description. Never messed with it, as I'm too paranoid with diastaticus lol.
Never had any contamination issues across batches, and I do everything in the same 2 unitanks. Clean thoroughly after every use. Lagers, Kolschs, Pale ales, neipas, stouts, altbiers etc

Grain:
70% - proximity 2row
20% - flaked oats
10% - white wheat

Yeast:
Verdant

Hops:
Citra
Simcoe
Motueka CGX

I' m with you now about Verdant. For 2+ years it was my go to strain and even with throwing 14-16oz dry hops all the beers felt muted and underwhelming. Could never wrap my head around what was going wrong. So did a bit of digging around and saw a few people mention that it really mutes hops. So on my last brew I used Imperial Dry hop and the result was great. Hops really popped and the beer was drinkable after only 2-3 days compared to 2 weeks minimum with Verdant. It was hands down my best NEIPA to date.

Used it again yesterday for my next beer, Citra and Riwaka hot side and Citra and Nelson cold side. Might use a small addition of Riwaka too, still undecided on this. Really looking forward to trying the results.

Out of curiosity have you moved away from malted oats to flaked oats?

Damn I switched to verdant two hazies ago and I'm actually liking what I'm getting from it hop wise a lot better than juice. Also seems to let me get alot more hops in without getting much greenness at all compared to juice which is what I was using before

Got some cgx motueka and Nelson coming in so I'm super excited to use that in this beer

Last edited:
Has anyone had a good experience with spectrum? I've opened two packs so far and both smelled like moldy cheese

For those struggling to get/keep hazy beer, try dry hopping on day 7. Two years ago, I watched a webinar from Laura Burns of Omega Yeast who discovered through her testing, that dry hopping on day 7 gives the most turbidity and therefore the best stable haze. I have been doing this ever since and every single hazy (I’ve made 10 so far) has been perfectly hazy throughout the keg.

For those struggling to get/keep hazy beer, try dry hopping on day 7. Two years ago, I watched a webinar from Laura Burns of Omega Yeast who discovered through her testing, that dry hopping on day 7 gives the most turbidity and therefore the best stable haze. I have been doing this ever since and every single hazy (I’ve made 10 so far) has been perfectly hazy throughout the keg.
That's interesting. Might have to give it a try. I think most brewers on here are soft crashing to drop yeast, then DH for 48 hours. I've been doing that, and my haze is stable to the last pour as well. I package all my hazies on day 14, so I'm dry hopping on day 12.

Also, while it is new and not available in homebrew sized packs yet, the Lallemand + Escarpment Labs produced Pomona looks interesting. The text says "enhances biotransformation and haze for modern IPA styles" (where I think "modern" still means Hazies). I would not be surprised if it costs a couple dollars more than Verdant (but maybe still less than dry London Fog). When somebody asked on the Instagram announcement, they said homebrew packs would be out in a month or two.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/global/products/lalbrew-pomona/
Just came here after getting the email to see if this is had been brought up in the thread. When the email title said modern IPA yeast I was thinking more about the "New West Coast IPA" thread, but with all the discussion in the description about haze I'd agree this is a NEIPA/Hazy intended yeast.

Who's going to give it a try first? I just brewed a hazy on my last brew and have an old school WC IPA planned next. With a crazy couple months ahead I'm not sure when I'm going to have another NEIPA brewing. Also as I said above I'm pretty happy with results with current yeast so probably not going to make the jump until I hear some others report back.

But it's true, there is no exact answer and that's what makes it fun. You get to experiment for yourself (with a little input from others) and find your path and your recipes and your ingredients and your process, then when it all comes together and you brew that perfect beer you've been chasing, it's like the first time you kiss your first love, unexplainable joy... or whatever... but hey, that's just me.

I’m doing a Brujos style DIPA tomorrow. Grain bill below based on the wheat/oats I’ve got on hand. I have a bunch of Citra (t-90, lupomax and incognito) so I want to do an all-Citra utilizing all three. Would love some advice on the best hop schedule to get the most out of each. TIA, cheers! 🍻
1718749558770.png

Latest posts

Back