Long time lurker, first time poster. Great thread btw!
I'm hoping you'll help me wrap my head around issue that's bugging me for quite some time.
For the background I've been brewing for 8 years, won a few competitions, one of my NEIPA even scored 50 points.
Two years ago I've switched my cold side process from brew buckets to unitanks.
And that's what's im strugling with. Despite big DH addition beers seems to have muddled hop aroma
Let me describe my process for my last two batches (2x Double NEIPA) :
1) whirpool 1oz/1gal - targeting 6 gallon in uni. Fermentation with A38 + ALDC
2) after fermentation and diacetyl brake i soft crash beer to 11 c (52f), wait 48h and dump/harvest yeast.
3) at the tail end of fermentation I close blow off and let the pressure build up to around 6 psi.
4) Add dry hop via Brewtools dry hopper - total of 12 oz in 2x6 oz charges 24h apart
5)I rouse the hops from the bottom port for 2 days with co2
6) drop DH after 2/3 days and set cold crash - 1 c under pressure - 10 psi
7) close transfer to co2 purged keg via brewtools inline filter
The beers are fine no signs of oxidation but it seems that aroma i somewhat muddled not as bright as I want.
Could it be that with my current setup I'm overextracting hop aroma?
Beers smell super fruity after 1st DH, but after second one the aroma seems to be worst.
Most recent batch was Nelson/Citra Lupo/Riwaka combo - the aroma was fine up to 2 weeks in the keg, week 3 onwards - its a general fruit salad smell.