North of Nine Brewery - basement electric brewery build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northof9

Reaction score
Hello home brewers! I have been following a few different forums over the last couple of years and never actually joined one until now. Countless hours spent reading and staring at pictures collecting thoughts and ideas as to the direction I would like to take my brewery in. My current Equipment setup has worked very well thus far however the location could use some work. brewing in a basement corner has been acceptable until now. A few days ago I was getting ready to bottle up a breakfast porter and needed to get 4 cases of bottle sanitized before my buddy showed up to lend a hand. At 8 a.m. I headed downstairs wanting to get a jump start on things and decided to take a peek at my ferms. 62 degrees... I was aware of a temperature drop over the previous night but this level of offset between the upstairs (72) and the basement is way to much. Seeing as the wife and I had been talking about possibly finishing our basement this was the motivation I needed to get the ball rolling. After 2 days worth of discussion on the topic I now have the green light and would like to share the process with you fine people!

This is the first time I have ever done a build log on anything so let me know if im going overboard on my posts or if you want more pictures, info, steps, anything at all. I have some experience doing this type of work and will be happy to advise anyone who is thinking about doing a finished space as well.

The space I'm working with is 8x12 with an 80 inch ceiling and an I beam and cold air return running along one of the 8 foot sides (this wall will be the entrance and the duct and beam will be boxed in). additionally we started building a half bath in the basement along the 12 foot side of this area (wish I hadn't now but oh well). I already had my brewery setup in this location and decided to keep using this space.

Y3Jj8oa.jpg

Brewery just prior to tear down

itPmciw.jpg

Removed all equipment and coating walls with Drylok extreme.

c0h9EFl.jpg

Two coats of Drylok finished and awaiting materials....

g6XJKgF.jpg

Installed the first layer if insulation and sealed all seams with aluminized tape. The insulation I used for the first layer is 1/2 inch Rmax R-Matte Plus-3 with an R value of 3.2

IseJTAP.jpg

I chose to use aluminized tape on the joints and seams as it works perfectly with the aluminum bonded face on the Rmax Plus-3

I had a little time to work on the basement over the long weekend. Put up two of the stud walls, and some insulation, along with ceiling strapping, recessed light cans and wiring. Saturday morning I ran out to HD to rent a hammer drill for installing the tapcon screws and didn’t realize the Makita hammer drill uses special bits… Long story short, returned the rental (no charge) and decided to buy a DeWalt hammer drill for the same price as a Two day rental. Worth every penny as I’m sure I’ll get a lot of use out of it. I built the stud wall on the far end of the room using a pressure treated 2x4 on end for the footer, and non-treated 2x2s for the header and studs. The insulation I used for between the studs is inch and a half thick OC Foamular 150 with an R-value of 7.5 (R-10.7 in total when combined with the R max PLUS 3). The opposing entry wall was assembled using steel track at the floor and ceiling with 2x4 studs and braces Tapconned to the concrete floor. I left a 32inch opening for a 30inch door. The ceiling strapping is 1x2 fastened perpendicular to the joists (crap load of shims used to get the ceiling level). The light cans are shallow 6inch pots with 700 lumen daylight LED floods installed.

The 1 1/2 inch OC over the R max PLUS 3 give an overall rating of R-10.7
pEykHDk.jpg

The rear stud wall is complete with insulation. Also started the framing on the adjacent wall .
7vYBmD6.jpg

Most of the entry wall is finished. Still need to add studs to the left side for the door frame rough in.
IobPDCE.jpg

Ceiling strapping and Light cans.
oUy3tJa.jpg

Silly me... buy 4 light cans and only 3 bulbs :smack:
5hwrIvs.jpg

I'll try to be a bit more productive this week!!

Back