North Carolina Tar Heels - 2009 NCAA National Champions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarheel4985

Reaction score
So this may seem a bit off topic, but I thought I'd use this opportunity to show off a few pics of my keezer project in progress. I was hoping to have it done before tonight's game but at least it was painted and able to show off its colors for the game tonight.

I built it out of a 15 cu ft chest freezer I got for $50 off craigslist. It needed a lot of love but after a little cleaning, sanding, priming and painting it's starting to look pretty good. The collar was made out of 2x6's and its wired with a Ranco temp controller. I just received my 4 Perlick 525S faucets (which are beautiful) and the shanks came recently as well, so now I just need to make a few final touches and drill the holes for installing the faucets. The freezer will actually hold 8 cornies with the co2 tank on the hump but I couldn't justify ordering buying 4 more faucets, so for now I'm sticking with 4.

Obviously the main reason I wanted to post this was to show off its North Carolina jersey look. Eventually I'll paint the trademark argyle on the left and right sides. Also, the top is painted with black chalkboard paint (although I just found tintable chalkboard paint, so maybe I'll change up the color). I'll update with final pictures hopefully by the end of the week, including some of the new 525S faucets installed.

2230949720064118341S600x600Q85.jpg

2580254550064118341S600x600Q85.jpg

Lookin' sweet! What'll ya call it? "Psycho-t-zer"? "Tyler Hansbrew"? "Carolina Tapheel"?

Haha, Doug, I really like those, I might have to use a few of them.

And shecky, I can understand there are some other incredible choices for Carolina greats' numbers but I graduated in 2008 so Hansbrough has a lot more influence on my college basketball memories than Jordan, Cota, Stackhouse, Carter, Jamison or even May, Felton or McCants.

But more importantly, despite what people think of him or his potential in the NBA, there's no disputing Hansbrough has earned his place as one of the best college basketball players ever. Just for fun, here's a comparison of his stats to Michael Jordan's college career:

Freshman Year
Jordan: Averaged 13.4 ppg, 4.4 rebounds, named ACC Freshman of the Year, won NCAA National Championship
Hansbrough: Averaged 18.9 ppg, 7.8 rebounds, named ACC Freshman of the Year, 1st Freshman to earn unanimous 1st Team All ACC honors

Sophomore Year
Jordan: Averaged 20 ppg, 5.5 rebounds
Hansbrough: Averaged 18.4 ppg, 7.9 rebounds

Junior Year
Jordan: Averaged 19.6 ppg, 5.3 rebounds, won Naismith Award, won John Wooden Award, won Adolph Rupp trophy
Hansbrough: Averaged 22.6 ppg, 10.2 rebounds, won Naismith Award, won John Wooden Award, won Adolph Rupp trophy

Senior Year
Jordan: Drafted as 3rd overall pick to Chicago
Hansbrough: Averaged, 21.1 ppg, 8.1 rebounds, won NCAA National Championship

So looking at their college careers alone, they had similar stats, won the exact same awards and both won a National Championship. Hansbrough may never play at Jordan's level in the NBA but in college, he was right there with him.

And in case I ever want to change the numbers, I cut them out of magnet sheets, so they can be changed.

Great Keezer, and Tyler deserves his props! He's a great kid that's had an unbelievable college career. No matter what he does in the NBA, his college stats will be a thing of tarheel legend. I graduated in 94 and got to see Deano coach a few times. We've had some great players (Jordan, Ford, Stackhouse, Jamison, Carter), but Hansbrough is one of (if not the) hardest playing tarheels of all time. It's a great time to be a tarheel!!

Back