Normal smell and look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inturnldemize

Reaction score
My IPA has been in the primary for about 11 days now. I will bottle it tomorrow. I took a wiff of it tonight and realized i'm still getting a strong smell of alcohol/estery/hops. The smell is very pungent and makes you feel somewhat light headed if you smell it for too long. Is this normal? Fermentation has stopped about 4-5 days ago (I took hydro readings on 3 separate days).

Also, what about the bubbles on the beer? Why would there still be bubbles on it even after it's stopped fermenting? The ones on the top right hand side are somewhat larger bubbles than the rest. Can this be a sign of infection or does this look perfectly normal?

Sorry bout the noob questions, just want my beer to come out nice and especially no bottle bombs! lol.

P1020420.jpg

Most likely you are getting a head full of CO2...that can definitely make you light headed. And the bubbles look completely normal. Your beer looks fine! Probably just doing some off gassing, it happens. No worries here.

I left my IPA in my bucket for 2 weeks then dry hopped 7 days then bottled... I was a nervous wreck but the beer has turned out really good! Dont sweat the small stuff too much or it will drive you crazy

You'll be amazed how much smell and flavor change from bucket to bottle. I remember smelling and tasting my first beer when it was still in the bucket, and thinking, "Holy god, this is awful!"

Needless to say, after bottle conditioning, it was much better. :mug:

Back