Normal SCOBY growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normal Scoby growth?

• Total voters

GabrielJ-D

Reaction score
Hi, I've decided to grow my own scoby. I know that, it's easier to pick it up from someone or buy it in a sealed container but I've decided to try it.

I've tried to brew Kombucha before with a scoby that someone gave to me and it turned bad. In the last week of brewing, I've got a little piece of blue fuzz on top, probably it was too cold for the fermentation. So this time, I'm growing my own scoby.

I've took a bottle of GTS original (unflavored) kombucha and I've done a normal recipe for brewing kombucha (1 Gal of Spring Water, 1-2 tablspoons loose-leaf black tea, 1 cup of cane sugar).

Right now, it stays at a temperature of 20 - 23 degree celcius (68 - 73 degreeF), it's two weeks old, it's a 1mm thick and it's smells tangy. Everything there seems fine but each time, somethings bothering me. Each time, I look at pictures of mold on scoby and it freaks me out.

I wanted to know if I'm on the right track right now or if it's developing mold...

Thank you for reassuring me!

Attachments

• IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
Doesn't look like mold to me at all. How many grams is a tablespoon? I've only used tea bags, not loose tea - but I read somewhere you want about 12g per gallon.

Doesn't look like mold to me at all. How many grams is a tablespoon? I've only used tea bags, not loose tea - but I read somewhere you want about 12g per gallon.
Thanks for replying! The recipe it's 4-6 tea bags/ 1-2 Tablespoons loose-leaf tea. I've mesured it and it's in between 12g!

Looks like a healthy scoby to me.
I've grown scoby's of all different colors and consistencies.
83° is the sweet spot. But it will continue to grow in the temperature you can provide.

Best of wishes
Wizard works

I use 80g to 100g of loose (or bagged) tea per 5 US gallons (23 liters). To me that seems to be strong enough to sustain flavour in the brewing of the Kombucha.

Latest posts

Back