Normal Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schind

Reaction score
Yeast: Wyeast 3068

Expected OG: 1.051
Actual OG: 1.051
Expected FG: 1.016

Sunday 8:00PM: Pitched at 1.051
Monday 11:00AM: Krausen up to the lid of my 6.5 gal bucket
Tuesday: 1.024 and krausen at 1 inch above liquid
Thursday: 1.022 and krausen a little lower
This Sunday 8:00PM: 1.016 (below picture taken)

I'm just curious, is this normal krausen? it's almost like a solid floating on top of the beer. I can "rip" it with my wine thief when I take readings. I just want to see if this is what it's supposed to look like.

krausen1.jpg

It looks ok to me. Some stay sticky and wet like that, and some drop completely to the bottom. It really depends on the yeast strain, and it seems to me that it also depends on the temperature. In warm months, it seems to do that more. In cold months, it tends to compact more on the bottom.

I was away this weekend and this stuff smells VERY strong of bananas. I'm guessing it might have gotten a little warmer than i wanted it to while I was gone. If I remember correctly, warmer fermentation brings out more esters. Right?

It's a wheat beer so I'm going straight to my bottling bucket. So if it just stays there but my gravity readings level out for a few days, should I wait for it to fall, scoop it out, or siphon from under it?

Back