"Nordic Princess" Raspberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BilltownBrewingCo

Beer is one of God's greatest gifts to man.
Reaction score
Hello all. I am in the fermentation stage with this beer, despite not having a ton of info on Voss Kveik and the flavors it imparts in wheat beers. I also have not brewed with Raspberries in the past, and would like some advice.

Just a bit about brew day-
We hit our OG right on the button at 1.052 mashing at 150*, and the color is exceptionally pale straw. I had started the yeast the night before, and we were at nearly high krausen within 8 hours fermenting at 68*. I am fermenting at this lower temp to also accommodate a pale ale using WLP 007, and of the two, VK is less dependent on temp ranges.

First of all- thoughts on VK with this grain bill, and what I should expect from a clarity and flavor profile?

Secondly, I plan on only adding 2lbs of frozen raspberries to the secondary after 14 days in the primary (I know that's longer than probably necessary). The recipe says 3, but i have added 0 to this point, and the 2lbs is all I plan on adding. The berries would sit in the secondary with the beer for 2 weeks. My plan for sterilizing them was to run them up to 170* in some water and having them stand for about 15 minutes, then essentially muddling the liquid, running them through some cheesecloth to filter, then throwing the liquid into the secondary. Is this the way to go?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/769430/nordic-princess

I recently brewed a wheat beer with the Voss Kveik (OYL-061), fermented at a similar temperature. I found that the VK yeast gave an almost coconutty/popcorny flavor to the beer. Note, that this is not diacetyl, fake-butter flavor, but the flavor of the kernels themselves. I found that it sort of clashed with the wheat-based grist and the witbier spices (coriander, bitter orange, and ginger).

I got the same flavor in a VK ale with 70 % pilsner / 30 % Vienna and Cashmere hops, and it worked quite well. I think the hops complimented the flavor better than did the witbier spices.

I posted about this in the Voss Kveik thread here, but no one gave any replies to my question. I was wondering if it was the low (for VK) fermentation temperature that drove that coconut flavor as opposed to the citrus that people get at very high (> 90 °F) fermentation temperatures.

Hello all. I am in the fermentation stage with this beer, despite not having a ton of info on Voss Kveik and the flavors it imparts in wheat beers. I also have not brewed with Raspberries in the past, and would like some advice.

We hit our OG right on the button at 1.052 mashing at 150*, and the color is exceptionally pale straw. I had started the yeast the night before, and we were at nearly high krausen within 8 hours fermenting at 68*. I am fermenting at this lower temp to also accommodate a pale ale using WLP 007, and of the two, VK is less dependent on temp ranges.

First of all- thoughts on VK with this grain bill, and what I should expect from a clarity and flavor profile?

Secondly, I plan on only adding 2lbs of frozen raspberries to the secondary after 14 days in the primary (I know that's longer than probably necessary). The recipe says 3, but i have added 0 to this point, and the 2lbs is all I plan on adding. The berries would sit in the secondary with the beer for 2 weeks. My plan for sterilizing them was to run them up to 170* in some water and having them stand for about 15 minutes, then essentially muddling the liquid, running them through some cheesecloth to filter, then throwing the liquid into the secondary. Is this the way to go?

Grain bill should be good. I've done similar with strawberries and it comes out nice. No comment on VK as I don't have much experience with it (yet).

What I do for sanitizing the strawberries is put them in a big Ziploc bag and set that in a pot of water with a sous vide set to 150° and leave it for a few min past when the water gets to temperature. 170° for 15 may get you cooked raspberry flavor (can't guarantee, never used raspberries), I got a bit of cooked strawberry flavor when I walked away and forgot about them for an hour once.

You could also just freeze them. I had success once with just using frozen strawberries and making sure to sanitize the food processor before pureeing them.

Honestly never heard of anyone using Kviek at such a low temp.

My experience with kviek at higher temps is it temps to be cloudy. Havent tried lower temps as of yet.

Heres a wealth of knowledge on kviek yeasts. http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

Honestly never heard of anyone using Kviek at such a low temp.

My experience with kviek at higher temps is it temps to be cloudy. Havent tried lower temps as of yet.

Heres a wealth of knowledge on kviek yeasts. http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/393.html

I've seen a few posts on here and other forums saying that it ferments relatively clean at that temp. I assume I won't get the orange hints that would be common at higher temperatures.

I've seen a few posts on here and other forums saying that it ferments relatively clean at that temp. I assume I won't get the orange hints that would be common at higher temperatures.

I’d be interested to see how it turns out. I’ve read it flocs out quickly on a stir plate. I just haven’t come across anyone yet thats done a lower temp ferment with kviek. Its one of the things I love about this yeast...it almost eliminates the need for temp control unless your going for a specific characteristic from it.

Back