Noob's First Brew. OG Way Too High

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmar836

Reaction score
So brewed my first batch today. Been reading a while and have a friend that does AG.
Yesterday I did a dry run to sanitize, gather equipment, check volumes, workflow in the kitchen, etc. I used a kit from AHS - the English Pale Ale(8C). Did a partial boil today and had no issues. Chilled in ice bath within 15 or so minutes. I alternated chilled wort with top off water(boiled yesterday) in the carboy (to help with mixing) to get the final recommended volume - 3gal wort + 2.25gal of top off. Shook well again and took the SG with a refractometer(I know I can't use this for subsequent readings). The OG should be 1.052 according to AHS. I got 1.070! I don't have a hydrometer and didn't figure on getting one until closer to bottling.
I've read so many say "relax and let it ride" so assumed this was due to the recent shaking and all the hops still floating around. We pitched the yeast and set it down in the basement. Now I'm concerned about that SG. Of all the beginner questions I can't remember that being a common issue using a kit. I know I could add more H2O but since the yeast is in I would be guessing on what the new SG should be.
Anything I should have done differently? Unfortunately I'll be tied up with a long work shift this eve so my adjustments might be limited.
Any advice appreciated.
Dave
KC

Extract kit I assume? If all the extract went in, and you topped off to correct level (5 gallons?) then you most likely pulled a sample that wasn't completely mixed with the top off water. Can't overshoot OGs on extract without adding extras or not using enough water to top off.

RDWHAHB

Cheers, and welcome to the obsession!

Thanks for the reassurance. Yes, sorry, it was extract DME and LME combo.
I alternated pouring top off and wort for that reason and also shook well at intervals as I had read about the mixing problem. Guess I should just "relax and let it ride"!
Appreciate the quick help, guys,
Dave

No problem, that's what's so great about this site.

When I pour my chilled wort into fermenter and top off, I use my stir spoon (sanitized) and give everything a vigorous mix and helps to aerate at the same time. Then I pull my sample and 9/10 times its spot on.

Back