Noobs 4th brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocalNat

Reaction score
I am a liitle paranoid being only my 4th brew. It is a Hophead Double IPA from Midwest using Wyeast headwater. This photo was taken 10 hours after yeast was pitched. I need feedback. Is this looking good? No Kraeusen yet but I was wondering is it a little early? I inserted a blowoff tube so when do I remove it and insert an airlock? Also, I was going to rack to secondary and dryhop after 7 days. All help is greatly appreciated.

beer.jpg

Looks good to me! All fermentations are different, so no worries about no big krausen yet.
You have plenty of headspace, so you could probably just skip the blowoff tube & go with the airlock.

That's krausen,so you're fine. I've had ferments that made no more krausen then that. Others started there & kept building. They're all different.

It looks fine but do not rack to secondary based on an arbitrary time line. let the beer reach FG , THEN rack to secondary and dry hop. Lets say for example that your yeast had a huge lag time, sometimes up to 72 hours. THEN you racked to secondary after 7 days. That means that technically you are racking after 4 days of fermentation, and PROBABLY right in the middle of fermentation.

Ditto on waiting until fermentation is complete before racking and dry hopping. You don't even need to rack to dry hop if you don't want to, but to each their own.

10 hours is far too little time to be concerned. Sometimes it takes well over an entire day to see any activity. Seems you have a quick start on this one.

A sanitized wine thief or turkey baster would work for taking the sample. I believe mine finished at 1.018.

I made this same beer as my fourth as well. Easily my best extract batch. I dry hopped in the primary for 5 days after 3 weeks (~4 weeks total) and it turned out really well. I think it was best after four to six weeks in bottles. My advice: drink this one fresh.

Back