noobie question about crash-cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
ok, I am working on my second batch, a pale ale similar to sierra Nevada.
It is in the secondary fermentor entering it's second week. I would like the beer to be as clear as possible, but don't wanna mess up. Should I put it in the fridge for this week to hlpl the yeast fall out at a higher rate? and if so, do I let it come back to room temp before bottling?
Also, I had a case or so from my last batch that I (prematurely) took to a party (chilled) and what was leftover, I brought home and let continue conditioning at room temp. Now that beer has a bitter aftertaste that was not there before. I remember in college, in a town where you cannot buy beer cold getting some coors lite that was terrible and it was blamed on cold/hot/cold.What happens to cause this and will it affect my batch in the fermentor??
norm

Off flavors are only a problem if the beer gets too warm, and you may have trouble getting sufficient carbonation iof you chill it too much. Leave it in the secondary for a couple more weeks at 65-70 and it'll be crystal clear.

Back