Noob with questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkcowboy

Reaction score
I just started my first two meads. The first one is the traditional just yeast water and honey water should be around 80 degrees give or take I used 1gal water Lavin ec-1118 for a yeast and about 4 lb of honey as I'm trying to shoot for 18% because of the yeast. My question however is I used 2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient is this going to be a problem. This is also with the second Mead but I have a second issue. I used Frozen blackberries in this one and they didn't warm up like I thought they were going. Is this hoing to slow down to the fermentation or is it going to kill it? Did I just waste my time. Other than that the two are identical.

Hi Drunkcowboy - and welcome. Why are you aiming for 18% ABV? That's a recipe for an undrinkable mead (more fusel alcohols than ethanol) if this is your first attempt at mead making and the temperature is around 80F and you are using a yeast that is better used as a sledge hammer than a scalpel. Four pounds of honey to make a gallon will raise the gravity of the water to about 1.140 and THAT is an incredible concentration for any yeast to deal with. EC 1118 MIGHT be able to tackle that syrup but the amount of stress you are causing the yeast would give any human cardiac arrest... Yeast are living organisms. They really need to be treated with compassion and care.

If you really want a mead that competes with scotch or rum why not simply add some honey to your favorite spirits.

I wasn't planning on that. I just bought the wrong yeast didn't do enough research when I got to the store. and I tested a dry Mead didn't care for it so I wanted to Sweeter one. I followed a mead calculator to come up with the pounds of honey. It was not my first goal.

Update i found a mini fridge to ferment in i propped door open a little for air flow i dont have it on .
and both are fermenting fine this morning

Last edited:
Back