NOOB trying Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoA1967

Reaction score
I'm new to Partial-Mash, and 4 beer kit brews old. (3 beer kits, with steeping grains, and 1 extract/steeping/boiling hops)
I've been reading, searching and studying brewing alot, for 3 months, and now i'm getting ready to brew try a partial mash, with a mini-mash tun (2 UK gallons)

Heres the recipe I have created, and I need feedback. Have I gone overboard, or am I on the right track. (I don't know the style but I like the tastes of the grains in the mix):

Tamper with Amber (Irish Red Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (°P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.14 %
Colour (SRM): 13.8 (EBC): 27.2
Bitterness (IBU): 29.1 (Rager)

46.62% Maris Otter Malt
23.31% Amber Malt
9.32% Dry Malt Extract - Light
9.32% Vienna
4.66% Carapils (Dextrine)
4.66% Dry Malt Extract - Dark
1.17% Biscuit
0.47% Chocolate
0.47% Roasted Barley

1.3 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
2.2 g/L Malto-Dextrine @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale S-04

Best regards

~Bo (From Denmark)

I think you've got too much of a hodgepodge there. I'd ditch any dark or amber extract, as it has other things in it like crystal malt so it's hard to say what's in it.

An American amber typical has up to 15% or so crystal malt, and maybe some Vienna and Munich character malts. Amber malt is a dry biscuity malt, and so is biscuit malt. Roasted barley AND chocolate malt are overkill, too. I think you're making an English pale ale with those hops?

If I knew exactly what style you were going for, I'd be able to give you some better and more specific advise, but I'd definitely totally simplify that grainbill. Maris otter malt, a bit of carapils or crystal malt, and some of the biscuit malt with chocolate malt for color is more than sufficient, and use light extract for the extract.

I think you've got too much of a hodgepodge there. I'd ditch any dark or amber extract, as it has other things in it like crystal malt so it's hard to say what's in it.

An American amber typical has up to 15% or so crystal malt, and maybe some Vienna and Munich character malts. Amber malt is a dry biscuity malt, and so is biscuit malt. Roasted barley AND chocolate malt are overkill, too. I think you're making an English pale ale with those hops?

If I knew exactly what style you were going for, I'd be able to give you some better and more specific advise, but I'd definitely totally simplify that grainbill. Maris otter malt, a bit of carapils or crystal malt, and some of the biscuit malt with chocolate malt for color is more than sufficient, and use light extract for the extract.

That's why I made my first thread,... Thanks, mate
Roasted Barley is over the top, and no Dark DME, but double the Light DME. Removing the Amber Malt would save me a trip to the shop, so no argument here!!

Thanks again!

he's going for Irish Red

"Tamper with Amber (Irish Red Ale)"

I think 23% Amber malt is way too much - that stuff is pretty potent - 6oz in a 5gal batch is very noticeable to me

a little roasted barley or chocolate malt will suffice to darken it a bit and add a hint of flavor - with those amounts you won't really discern either so just pick one

I'd definitely totally simplify that grainbill. Maris otter malt, a bit of carapils or crystal malt, and some of the biscuit malt with chocolate malt for color is more than sufficient, and use light extract for the extract.

Especially seeing as this is a first shot at the recipe, I would start simple and build from there.
Yoopers suggestion for Maris otter, crystal and some chocolate for color is great.

I'll think I need to more simple,... just want to try everything in one try, though it is impossible!
As "terrapinj" is pointing at, my pointer was a Irish Red Ale, but I think it took a turn.

Thx for the feedback, and think about "more is less"

Back